PDA

View Full Version : Help! - Fur growing but big lump developed

Jude
11-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Re. Hamuel's sudden fur loss, I think the vet may have been wrong - unless this is something else. His fur has started to grow back, but in the last 24 hours he has developed a great dark lump - kind of saggy and soft and so big it is almost in the way of his leg - around the neck and left pouch area where he had the hair loss. (I don't know if it's connected or not.) It looks really horrible, very dark - almost purple. Mum's going to try and get an emergency vets appointment tomorrow (Sunday today so they're closed). Wierdly, Ham doesn't appear bothered by it; he is as bright and perky as always. I've checked everything - there is nothing dodgy, old or unclean in his cage, he's not been fed anything unusual, has clean water every day and he hasn't fallen or anything. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? It's so sudden. he has always been in perfect health until now. I'm terrified I might lose him.

souffle
11-12-2006, 04:30 PM
I am sorry to hear Hamuel is poorly again. Hopefully you will get a vets appointment soon. It is hard to tell what it might be Jude but it does sound like some sort of bruised blood under the skin. It could be an abcess in the pouch and the pressure is causing bruising at the skin surface. Abcesses can usually be drained quite sucessfully and treated with antibiotics. Keep him well hydrated. Abcesses are usually quite contained within a sort of capsule so the hamster does not tend to appear too ill till toxins build up so hopefully early treatment will see him better soon. I am thinking about you and hope he gets well soon.

Jude
11-13-2006, 07:06 AM
Thanks Souffle, Hamuel went to the vets this morning. She said it's probably a tumor, but she wasn't entirely sure and couldn't tell for certain without operating. But there's no way I'm putting him through any unnecessary upset or discomfort, especially as he is over 2 now. If it is a tumour he might only have a week or few left, so I am desperately hoping it's something less serious. Having watched him pouch his food quite happily I now think it's not a pouch problem, but maybe blood under the skin - it's certainly soft enough to be that. How does that happen? Does it heal by itself? I'll post a picture if I can get him to stay still long enough. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

souffle
11-13-2006, 08:01 AM
That is a pity but at least Hamuel is still perky and obviously not suffering. I think with tumours that sometimes they can grow through a blood vessel and cause it to rupture. It does not seem to be getting any worse so I guess the body has healed it and stopped it bleeding. Hopefully it will gradually go like a bruise does. I have known hammies live a good long time after developing a tumour but I just don't know. Everyone is different. Spoil him now and give him all the extra love you can and you will know when the time comes when he does not feel he wants to go on. I hope he continues a happy pain free time for a while yet though. I think you did right not to put him through an operation at his age. That was very brave of you as you did what was right for him without thinking of yourself.

suga
11-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Jude - thinking of you both.....

babyboos
11-17-2006, 08:29 AM
I hope he continues without pain for some time to come