PDA

View Full Version : Help on Behavior

poeyswifey
11-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Mercedes is with her baby, sugar. But she will every now and then pick her up by her leg and throw her somewhere in the cage. Sugar squeeks, and at night about 2 or 3 am.

I am just wondering if that is normal she is 21 days old not.

How old do they have to be when you put her in her on cage?

mrnibblesmommy
11-17-2010, 12:01 AM
28 days and you can put her in her own cage, but if the baby is def. a female she could remain with the mom slightly longer..is the baby a runt? if so the extra time with it's mom would be important

souffle
11-17-2010, 03:41 AM
I suspect this is because there is only one pup PW. She will not be getting any milk from mum now especially without siblings to stimulate the mother to produce. Mum is likely a bit fed up with her.
Watch the pair very closely and if mum does attack her you are going to need to separate them sooner than 4 weeks. It is better if she stays if possible to learn from mother however better safe than sorry. She should be OK now with regard to eating etc but will need some extra support in ensuring she is warm enough and extra nutritious feeding to help her grow.

poeyswifey
11-17-2010, 07:39 AM
I have a little house thing that would keep her warm, would that be ok? She is ok with eating and drinking i see her do that all the time when her mum isnt dragging her away.

So about 28 days split them up then? the baby is 22 days old now

souffle
11-17-2010, 08:40 AM
Yes 4 weeks is best. You can do it a few days early but only if mum is grouchy with her. As she looks quite small I would try and ensure she stays the full time.
Plenty bedding (not the fluffy stuff) like ripped white loo roll will keep her cozy but don't put her too near a heat souce like a radiator.
Feed her egg, chicken, porridge and babyfood as well as the normal hamster mix.

poeyswifey
11-17-2010, 12:33 PM
what sort of baby food

Hope
11-18-2010, 05:10 AM
In tins or jars, with no onion garlic or spices. Ive got a hinez chicken and veg one for mine for they like. They love a little boiled egg too mine go mad for it!

poeyswifey
11-18-2010, 07:31 AM
mine like that bread and milk as soon as she smells it she is there

Teddy
11-20-2010, 05:57 AM
Sorry to hijack, is he chicken baby food ok for Robos? I'm just thinking that hammies wouldn't normally eat chicken naturally so does it nutritionally do them any good or is it a treat? ...

If mum is picking on the baby too much and the babys health is suffering as a result then maybe think about seperating or having a divider?

poeyswifey
11-20-2010, 11:18 AM
I have seporated them now the baby is doing amazingly well tbh :) a little happy hammie

souffle
11-20-2010, 12:20 PM
The chicken babyfood is fine Teddy.
Hamsters would not eat chicken in the wild however they would eat various forms of animal protein in the form of insects and carrion they might find.

Dora
11-20-2010, 12:24 PM
glad both are getting on look forward to seeing her continue to grow a special lil hammy she is x

poeyswifey
11-21-2010, 04:18 PM
there will be more photos hopefully tuesday :)