PDA

View Full Version : Help! - Losing Fur :-(

suga
09-15-2006, 01:27 AM
As some of you will already know Conker hasn't been in the best of health. Last night when she came out I noticed that she has lost quite a bit of fur off her back leg on the right hand side.

I haven't noticed her scratching or washing in excess, she is active, climbing and darting about, her eyes are looking bright. She is eating and drinking and I had a rake around this morning in her house and she is weeing and pooing. This morning I have changed water and food.

She is still occassionally coughing and I am wondering whether this is a reaction to the medication she was previously taking. I have now stopped it and she hasn't had any for this past week.

The only change in her cage has been the use of carefresh for the floor and toilet roll for bedding. I weighed her this morning and she is 125g - her weight hasn't changed since she was weighed at the vets on the 18 August.

The only other change in the house has been the addition of Fuzee Fi. Could she be upseting Conker?

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/sugalass/leg.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/sugalass/Leg3.jpg

Can anyone help. I have got an appointment at the vets today at 3pm just to get her checked. Has anyone seen this before, is there anything I can give her in her diet to help her. I have never had a hamster lose fur before and its quite worrying....I think.

babyboos
09-15-2006, 01:44 AM
To loose fur so heavily in one area is unusual mites tend to cause fur loss around the ears and neck area not one rump. Can you check the cage very closely to see if you can see any loose hairs anywhere. Is she rubbing herself more than usual around the edges of the cage? Is she running on her wheel predominantly in one particular direction?

suga
09-15-2006, 02:13 AM
i will check her cage when i collect from home later to take to the vet. she doesn't like her wheel and never uses it.
She doesn't rub up against the cage as she's more of a hang upside down creature or bite the bars a bit but her nose isn't excessively rubbed either.

She doesn't stay still very much but I did have a look at her this morning when i got her out it is only in that area... that she has the loss of fur... :-(

racinghamster
09-15-2006, 02:49 AM
That is strange is`nt it? I can`t offer up anything new suga because I can only think either she`s chewed the fur away at this particular site on her body, or there is an underlying reason for it to fall out. I would have thought she chewed the fur away because something was irritating her, but unless the vet takes a fur sample to analyse, you won`t know if it`s a mite thing.

Poor Conker. :( At least she seems fine in herself. You did mention she was on antibiotics? Do you know what it was suga? I wonder if she`s had a resction of some kind? Was she ever injected with anything, or was her medication oral?

I know there can be contradictions with some drugs and I have a young gerbil who was prone to seizures when I first got him, so he can NEVER have Baytril. I can`t say why, but I do know this has been stated in some articles I`ve read about gerbils.

I hope your vet can shed some light on this for you. x

Minicooper
09-15-2006, 03:14 AM
The only other change in the house has been the addition of Fuzee Fi. Could she be upseting Conker?

I wouldnt think so but I have heard that if you bring another pet home, Conker might feel rejected or your not spending as much time with her. . . .thats the reason I am not allowed any more pets as you have to share your love out.....

I really hope Conker gets better, do you know how old she is?

souffle
09-15-2006, 04:13 AM
It is quite a noticeable patch of fur loss and may be slightly red so mites are a possibility. Try and make sure the vet does a skin scrape to see if it is this rather than just treating Conker just in case as the mite medication can be quite distressing for a ham. Other causes could be a reaction to the medication or possibly the carefresh. I actually find carefresh quite dusty and it may be causing skin irritation. It may be worth you buying some cheap plain white kitchen roll and shredding this and cutting it up into chips then use this soley for a bit. Another possibility is a hormonal problem such as to do with the thyroid or the female hormonal system which the vet would need to investigate. Perhaps you could suggest alternatives to just parasites to see if that will prompt the vet as they are often not sure. It does not look like the fur loss is just the normal age related thinning which most hammies go through. I do not think it has anything to do with the new addition. I am sure you give them equal love and attention. Till you know, best keep them apart and wash hands etc well before handling so as not to pass anything between them. Hope she feels better and the vet helps.

suga
09-15-2006, 04:15 AM
conker has had an injection before and she was on baytrill and another type of medication which was banana flavour. Sorry can't remember the names of the drugs. She seemed to be okay with that though.

I guess you wouldn't be able to see mites by the naked eye - how would she have got them ????

Conker gets the most attention... in the house. She comes out for a cuddle in the evening and the morning. fuzee kinda gets 2nd choice whilst she's settling, so i don't think it can be that. Unless conker hates her presence and is stressed by it :-(
Conker definitely is getting the most love in the house ....

I can't believe this is happening... she was unwell for approx 3 weeks and I spent every night on the lounge floor next to her ... she seemed to have gotten as well as possible with the cough/cold thing and now she has something else to cope with....

suga
09-15-2006, 04:18 AM
I always wash my hands between holding or touch each of them.

Conker lives on the table and Fuzee under the table, should Fuzee be moved away to another room? As I just posted, conker is the no.1 girl and gets the most love and attention....

i will suggest and prompt as you have advised for the visit with the vet.....

thanks

souffle
09-15-2006, 04:19 AM
Mites can be brought in in bedding or food which may have been badly stored say in the pet shop or from other animals or even humans. I don't think it is this personally. I think it is related to her previous illness so that is why the vet should not blanket treat her for mites. You need a microscope to see them in a skin scrape suga.
Poor wee lamb. Hope all goes well.

racinghamster
09-15-2006, 05:20 AM
A mite flare up can be brought about by the animal being run down with another illness, which Conker has had recently. They take advantage of the animals lowered immune system. I would get Conker some Avipro Plus (your vet can order this in!) and it`s made by a company called Vetark. See here:

http://www.noahs-cupboard.co.uk/index.asp

This contains glucose for energy aswell as other additives that help the normal gut flora when an animal has been on antibiotics, which can upset this delicate balance. It smells and tastes of vanilla, so they do drink it! You add 1 x scoopful to 100ml drinking water for a hamster who is run down, or 1 x scoopful to 200ml water. The instructions and scoop come included.

It`s a handy suppliment to have in anyway, just incase you have an animal on antibiotics, or an animal you feel needs a wee boost during vet trips or periods of stress, like attending shows etc..

suga
09-15-2006, 05:39 AM
Thanks. I'm going to print this thread out and take it with me this afternoon to the vet....

Trying not to get too worried - she's such a gem.... just want her to be well.... you know?

souffle
09-15-2006, 07:27 AM
Yes I agree Racinghamster Avipro is very good and we always keep it in stock. Maybe that would give Conker a boost Suga.

suga
09-15-2006, 08:08 AM
Well we have just got back. Vet can't see any evidence of mites. The part where the fur is really missing isn't particularly red - is more skin than anything else.

She thinks its more than likely to be a hormonal imbalance cos she's a girl and possibly has cysts on her ovaries?? If she was human she'd have a hysteractomy to get rid of the problem. She said they don't treat it....

She has treated just in case of mites and we go back next week. Is there anything that anyone knows of for hormone imbalance? Vet says there's nothing.....

racinghamster
09-15-2006, 09:27 AM
Hmmm, hormonal inbalance? Now this will take a bit of researching! I know female rats can suffer from Pyometra and usually need a womb removal to correct this problem, but the signs of this are usually passing blood from the female entrance.

Two female hormones are oestrogen and progestegen, so one could be overiding the other? If the vet is right and it IS hormonal, I don`t know how you would go about finding out how you can redress any inbalance.

First off, which hormone would be responsible for hair loss? I think Cushings disease is responsible for hair loss in hamsters and hair GAIN in horses, but it is`nt something I`ve researched.

Edited To Add: Hi suga. I found this link relating to hamster ailments: http://www.ahc.umn.edu/rar/MNAALAS/Hamsters.html

It mentions under `cancer` that internal tumours can cause hair loss? :( I do hope this is`nt the case. maybe that`s why your vet said they did`nt treat it? I hope someone else can offer up some suggestions.

There may be a suppliment or food source out there that could be beneficial, if we could just find some evidence that hormonal problems in hamsters can be treated? Everyone get researching!!!

SnuggleHam
09-15-2006, 11:19 AM
What about scent glands? I belive there are some on the syrian, one on each side of the rump, near the area where fur loss is happening. Could it have something to do with that?

suga
09-15-2006, 11:26 AM
thanks for your help. I don't know anything about scent glands. I will try and get better pictures over the weekend... so we can see more - hopefully.

I have picked up that tonic tonight so will try that with her.. she's sitting in her home at the moment looking very sorry for herself :-(

souffle
09-15-2006, 11:34 AM
The scent glands are a bit higher up than in the pic I think Snuggleham. I have heard of this hormonal imbalance causing hair loss which I why I suggested it initially. Some hammies lose all their fur but most seem to just go a bit patchy and with Conker being around 16 months she will be showing some signs of ageing now. Tofu and bean sprouts and any soya foods contain lots of plant natural oestrogen's which can help. Try feeding these and also some leafy greens such as broccoli, carrot tops and maybe a little kitten food (You can often get freebies at the vets in little sachets like Hills) This may provide some extra oils to help moisten the skin. It seemed to help Gerald when he has hair loss. Chinese people have few problems with menopausal symptoms as they eat a diet rich in soya and natural plat isoflavones which substitute for the oestrogen's they have lost so it may help Conker. I hope she feels better soon and am glad she does not seem to be feeling poorly or itchy.

SnuggleHam
09-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Yes my old hamster Gerald, bless his little soul! He started to loose his fur here and there. Its was quite odd, and it wasn’t due to mites. I never did take him to the vets since he didn’t seem irritated at all by it, but I started giving him dry cat food, one was some oral kind to help with cleaning cats teeth, but the reason I offered it was because it was pretty oily. A week or two after feeding him a few pieces all his fur came back! it was like a new hamster! I did this because I thought dry skin might be an issue, and I heard that dog owners will often put vegetable oil on their dogs food to help with their dry skin *shrug* well it worked for Gerald!

racinghamster
09-16-2006, 01:08 AM
I know mice people apply vitamin E capsule oil to a mouse that has a skin problem, so buying some vitamin E capsules and piercing the oil out might help the raw/dry area too? Just another idea to add to what's already been given.

I have to agree with the diet suggestions too given by souffle.

suga
09-16-2006, 05:06 AM
Thank you for all your suggestions. Going to start adding to to her diet today.....

souffle
09-16-2006, 07:36 AM
Found some info in a hamster book about loss of fur. It says it frequently occurs in older hams beginning with two bald patches on either side of the spine. Diets containing less than 16% protein or excess cereals can cause alopecia.It says the protein level in the diet should be checked and amended and that more fruit and veg should be added to the diet. One drop of cod liver oil can be added to the daily food allowance and a crushed yeast tablet can help symptoms but it may take several weeks for any improvement to show. Do not give any more than one drop daily. Might be worth trying though I am not sure hams will like cod liver oil. I think Harry hamster has 19% protein and if you supplement with the tofu and bits of chicken and egg that will increase protein too. Good luck.

suga
09-16-2006, 08:52 AM
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions and support. I've mixed up some new food for tonight, part hamster mix, with tofu, and little broccoli. Will add other bits over the coming days.....

thanks again :-)

souffle
09-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Good to introduce them gradually suga in case they cause a tummy upset. Also it would be a good idea to give little Fuzzee Fi some too so she will grow up big and strong. Youngsters always benefit from a bit of extra protein and I am sure she would enjoy it. Remember to enjoy her too when she is little as they are so lovely then and start taming her. Is she coming out yet? I would start handling her now as she has had a good settling in time.

AndreaS
09-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Hi Suga,
I'm so sorry to hear anout Conker. When I had my first rats one of them (Sid) got a really bad Baytril burn and then lots of fur problems and a local rat breeder suggested I add a drop or two of Flax seed oil to his food
http://www.organicfood.co.uk/vms/flaxseedoil.html

After a few weeks his fur was really good again. I know the fur loss in Conker isn't for the same reason, but wondered if the oil might still help her?
Andrea

suga
09-16-2006, 12:20 PM
Souffle: I regularly give Conker bits of apple, grape or broccoli so hopefully that won't be a surprise or cause her any upset. I have given her a small peice of tofu tonight and she appeared to like it. I have mixed food for 1 day only and will sort new out for her tomorrow - so nothing can go off. I have cleaned her out tonight and had a good look at her, I noticed that the fur is looking a bit light on the other rear leg but not to the same extent as the right leg. Her coats looks a bit dull and maybe grey in places. Her underbelly is white, but again is looking a bit thin in places. I have put some woodshavings in the corners of her cage and the rest of her bedding is toilet roll, which she ran around her cage, with it hanging from her mouth - very funny LOL. She has been climbing and active so far tonight and doesn't appear to have had a marathon cleaning session so I am hoping she's not to bothered about the fur. I am a little concerned that she will get chilly but guess if she loose a lot more fur, we can make her a coat to keep her warm... poor little thing....

I have given Fuzee Fi some broccoli tonight and will sort her out a smaller piece of tofu before I go to my bed. She has come out and isn't too upset about a smooth whilst she's munching a treat. I'm not really sure how to go about taming her though. She's very different to Conker, in that Conker couldn't wait to get out and meet us and comes to the door of the cage now when she wants to come out... and looks at you from a far if she doesn't. Fuzee Fi stays away from the door more but is coming out when you say her name. She seems to be getting use to it - but then we do talk to her when she's awake... I cleaned her out tonight and she played - scurry round the box when I tried to put her back into the cage. It was more luck than anything else that I was able to hold on to her when she did get close to my hands. She will take food from your fingers. I think I need to get her to take food from my palm when it's flat to show her it's not scarey etc....

Andrea - thanks for the thought, others have suggested cod liver oil and depending on how she appears to be this week, I may try and pick some up. I will have a look at the weblink you have provided..... so thank you :-)

I also picked up the probiotic product by Vartek this weekend so will mix some up into her water....

thanks again everyone.... we appreciate it. :-)

AndreaS
09-17-2006, 01:38 AM
Andrea - thanks for the thought, others have suggested cod liver oil and depending on how she appears to be this week, I may try and pick some up. I will have a look at the weblink you have provided..... so thank you :-)

I also picked up the probiotic product by Vartek this weekend so will mix some up into her water....

thanks again everyone.... we appreciate it. :-)

You're very welcome :) I hope she is on the mend soon, paws and fingers are crossed that she is :) At least she doesn't seem to be concerned about it.
Andrea

babyboos
09-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Suga you are being so good and I am sure with all your additional food items if it is purely dietry then you will soon see an improvement.

suga
09-18-2006, 01:18 AM
My mate (that's the english in me) would say Conker is a wee scone (no idea what that means :P).... I did notice this morning that there was a tiny tuft of fur outside the cage. I actually have her sitting on a towel - so I can keep an eye on what she throws out of her cage.... She definitely has lost a bit more from the other leg, but her mad running around leads me to believe she's actually not unhappy. I hope she will be okay ..... the wee scone...
thanks

souffle
09-18-2006, 03:02 AM
Another thing is that most hammies are moulting just now and hers may be a bit more pronounced with her being poorly recently. Some of ours look distinctly tatty as they grow their new coats :lol: Glad she is bouncy though.

babyboos
09-18-2006, 03:30 AM
My hamsters all love Cod Liver Oil and will lick the oil from the capsule with great relish. Oats can be a warming food item which can help exacerbate hair loss so if you have any rolled oats in her dried mix, or give her porridge etc. try removing this for now.

Sprinkle some wheatgerm on her dried mix instead, and definitely try her with some drops of Flax Seed or Cod Liver Oil. High strength Vitamin E capsules are also available.

It is molt season especially late this year due to the weird weather we have been having in Scotland and it is getting cold at night quite suddenly. Our little ones are particularly sensitive to seasonal changes.

As for Fuzee Fi don't let her bully you so much :oops: She will regress very quickly if not handled regularly and she needs to be shown that you are not the enemy very soon. Confidence is the key as they can sense your hesitation.

To begin with you are aiming to be able to lift her briefly off the ground and allow her to step down again. After doing this for a good many times, she will hopefully get bored before you will, try holding her in your hands for longer, cupped gently but firmly so she cannot escape. Baby hamters are very muscular and strong which can surprise some people.

Try to remain calm whilst doing this so your heartbeat stays regular, speak to her gently, then hold your cupped hands on your chest and your hearbeat should hopefully soothe her, and stop her stuggling, if she is. 5 to 10 minutes every night around the same time is ideal, with nice healthy treats/rewards afterwards :lol:

When most Syrians reach the 3 month mark they have sudden personality switches and become very calm and docile with regular handling like this. It is one of the reasons I usually recommend hamsters 12 weeks and over for younger children. The hamster has gone through their rebellious teenager stage and is now a more mature responsible twenty-something :roll: :shock: :?

Laying an old towel in the bottom of the bath provides and ideal playground where they can run around while you lean over do the up-down /cupped hands exercise.

suga
09-22-2006, 08:08 AM
We went back to the vet today. She is still losing fur, but definitely no mites. Vet still thinks its an inbalance of hormones.... conker has been eating lots of lovely bits including the tofu etc. Last week she weighed 125g - today she is 135g. There was fur evidence in the cage at the begining of the week but I haven't seen any new tufts... She isn't scratching excessively and still appears to be okay in her self. I don't think we've cracked it - but she certainly appears to be doing alright and holding her own.

Her fur does seem to be looking a bit more glossy and she is still climbing, running and hanging upside down ( i think she was a bat in a previous life) :-)

souffle
09-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Well I think that sounds very promising. Well done Conker. The weight gain is good as she will be building herself up again and she sounds nice and lively. It can take a few weeks for the diet to kick in and it is certainly sounding as if she is feeling better in herself. Keep us posted :lol:

babyboos
09-25-2006, 11:04 AM
that is great news well done to you

suga
09-25-2006, 11:24 AM
I can't be sure - but she seems to have little bits of the brown fur coming back (maybe) round her legs. It looks like she's had a grade 1 hair cut and you can sort of see some regrowth. (I hope i haven't hexed her). I have tried to take some foto's but she won't keep still even when I have treats on the roof of her house to encourage her to stand up :-) She still has the bigger patch but maybe that's coming back too (fingers and toes crossed). She's currently tucking into a peice of tofu...

souffle
09-26-2006, 01:11 AM
Fantastic. She will be fuzzy Conker soon! :lol: The plant phytoestrogens have probably helped balance her hormones so keep feeding her little bits of Tofu. Good job she likes it isn't it! Are you giving her oils or anything else? It may help another person with this problem if you can remember exactly what you gave her.

suga
09-26-2006, 01:52 AM
I mix up her food every night but will write it here in case I do forget;

3/4 oz of hamster mix, 1 small/medium floret of broccoli, 1 grape, 1 slice of carrot, small cube of apple, sprinkle of wheatgerm, 1 peice of tofu or peice of egg, 3 peices of dry kitten food,1 small (baby spoon) of baby food with 1 drop of oil mixed in (she has that as her starter :-P).

I hope i haven't hexed her or anything... by saying she's improved..

souffle
09-26-2006, 06:08 AM
mmmmmmmm....can I come to your restaurant :lol:

Do you use cod liver oil?

Minicooper
09-26-2006, 07:06 AM
I hope i haven't hexed her or anything... by saying she's improved..

Course you havent, Glad she is getting better. Keep us updated on her process :D

suga
09-26-2006, 07:53 AM
I have been using Flax seed oil - she's not keen on the taste which is why she gets it with baby food......

babyboos
09-26-2006, 09:32 AM
I use flaxseed oil too but that is mainly because it is because I take it for my Omega 3, 6 and 9 needs. I find hamsters prefer Cod Liver Oil.