PDA

View Full Version : Runner </3 Messy :(

Redame
10-12-2010, 01:06 AM
Hey all,

*warning, story incoming!*

I had to seperate Runner and Messy yesterday.
It happened in the morning, when I heard Messy scream whilst Runner chased him. That happens only every so often, so I tapped the cage, got their attention and they stopped for a second. Messy franticly then started to run in his wheel, faster than ever before. Only for a second though, then Runner REALLY got a hold on Messy, and I couldn't bear watching. So I opened the cage, got Messy out, and was shocked to find my hand full with smudges of blood. Later it appeared Runner bit Messy hard enough in his foot for it to bleed, the wheel was also covered. The poor thing didn't know what to do, and there I was, the clock ticking screaming that I should go to work, and Messy in my hand whom I couldn't put back in the big Mary they have, surely?

So I panicked, put Messy back into the big cage, ran upstairs, got the ''beginner cage'' (FOP Dixie) out which they used to have, filled it with megazorb, got the bag of ''hamsterstuff'' out and placed a house in it, hearing Messy scream on the background. I picked him out of the cage and placed him in the FOP. He seemed immediately at ease. He was dotting around the cage whilst I took care of his food and water, and ''helped'' me when I was placing the tubing by walking in to the tube the just moment I tried to connect them.
Runner seemed to have relaxed more as well, he was busy stuffing his mouth with tissue to take more to his home.
I had to leave immediately, so I was still slightly worried.
When I came back I had some explaining to do to Boyfriend! He agreed though I did the right thing, and Messy seems really happy. Boyfriend then pulled an allnighter, and this morning he told me all about Messy being happy and a busy chap in his cage. However, Runner only came out for food and water. Maybe the Mary is too big for 1 dwarf and he's just too scared to come out? (The cage is 80 by 50 cm) Boyfriend thinks so. Whilst this did not even cross my mind, he became enthousiastic all of a sudden and was like: we can buy another FOP for Runner and then we can use the Mary for a Syrian hamster!
I was baffled, told him he was a silly man and went to work.
And now I am thinking about it. What if Runner indeed would be happier in a slightly less intimidating cage? What if we get another hamster, a Big fluffy Syrian?

Woahh I don't know at the moment, but butterflies are kinda trying to flutter their way!

What do you think?

SarahJ
10-12-2010, 01:15 AM
you deff did the right thing spliting them up and im glad you did this when you did!

I know some hammys do find too much space intimiding, so yes putting him in a small cage could be the answer!

oooo a new hammy!!! i now i couldnt say no to get another esp if the other half bought it up!

Ellie
10-12-2010, 01:39 AM
They do both sound alot happier, have a think about it today and I'm sure you'll do whats best for you, If you have the time, the love to give, the cage and the money, I don't see why you shouldnt :D !

Hope
10-12-2010, 03:27 AM
I think that you have made the best decision, if they seem happier already it must be for the best. A smaller cage might be an idea as some hammies do get frightened in big spaces, a smaller one might make him feel more secure.

As for another hammy, well if you have all you need and have enought time, go for it!

wofunny
10-12-2010, 03:52 AM
The best decision was made! Bless them

oooooh! new ham ham! i think you should go for it! :D

RachK
10-12-2010, 04:42 AM
Aw that's a shame since they seemed really good buddies. :( But it is for the best like everyone else has said.
Oooo so maybe a new addition soon. :)

SnickersTheFirst
10-12-2010, 09:38 AM
That is a shame but a new addition may cheer you up about the separation! :D

fluffymunchkins
10-12-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm sorry it didn't work out, they were such a cute pair :)
But you were very lucky to catch them fighting before more injury or worse could be done!
I think it woul dbe a good idea to put the ferplast Mary to better use if runners not using the space:mrgreen:
I know Treo wouldn't want that much space and you rboyfriend is actually enthusiast for once :D
Keep us updated x

Dora
10-12-2010, 11:22 AM
sorry you had to split them up but ditto other comments was certainly for the best.. ooo a new addition soon maybe ;) look forward to your announcement.

Adam
10-12-2010, 12:17 PM
It's a shame that they had to be split up but it's for this best.
I don't see why you shouldn't get another hamster and at least you know your boyfriend is all for getting another one!

Redame
10-17-2010, 01:30 AM
Thanks for all the lovely messages!

Runner is accepting the 'being alone'. Although bought them both a little willow ball to cheer em up, and Runner grabbed it, took it back into his huge temporary house and slept with it. I thought it was so sad!
Yesterday we finnaly got the FOP cage for Runner, and Boyfriend was brainless enough to give me a free card to go shopping on internet for syrian hamster stuff! I got LOADS: next to the huge house of Trixie Frida we already have, I bought a big Karlie wheel, new tubes to go underground, and a lovely ''first floor playground''. To keep my small critters happier too, I bought them a Sleep n Ledge (orginally for chinchillas, but the only one i found in wood that would fit in FOP cage!), half a coconut shell to put on the ledges, and I sneakily bought some grassy hamster rug as well, that they all can shred up :D. Boyfriend does not know this yet, but I guess I will see his reaction when everything arrives *hide! hide!* hehehehe.

We will get a new hamster in roughly 1 and a half weeks (Tuesday 26th October), since we go on holiday first and want the Syrian to be totally comfy with our presence in the house.
But his/her cage will be ready and waiting and so will we! :D

mangoandmimi
10-17-2010, 04:05 AM
Heehee your poor bf lol :D actually probs what i would do if i was given a card ... :*)
Wow must be exiting - new ham :D

Stormx
10-28-2010, 09:40 AM
this happend 2 me in the middle of the night my brother hamster had been ataacked my mine we separated them awsell good decision :) other wise they wud have been in serious trouble :(