PDA

View Full Version : Sparsholt assignment : )

HayleyBrooks
09-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Hi guys,
Basically I got set my first assignment at college a couple of days ago to do with breed development, evolution and a couple of other things.
I have obviously chosen to do my assignment on hamsters and was wondering if any of you guys know any sites that have reliabl info about anything to do with the history of hamsters? I know some already but obviously don't know enough for a whole assignment.

Much love
Hayley xx

SarahJ
09-24-2010, 03:29 AM
Do you have the hamsterlopaedia? That gives u some great history on hamsters and tells you the year they were bought over to the Uk etc.

internet_nobody
09-24-2010, 03:55 AM
There aren't any breeds of hamster, so they might not be the ideal model...If just following the mutations of colours will do, then look for any journal articles written by Roy Robinson.

SarahJ
09-24-2010, 03:56 AM
ops IB is right - sorry misread

fluffymunchkins
09-24-2010, 11:15 AM
There aren't any breeds of hamster, so they might not be the ideal model...If just following the mutations of colours will do, then look for any journal articles written by Roy Robinson.

Is species the correct word to use when refering to syrian, chinese, russian hamsters?
Just want to make sure i'm using the right word!

internet_nobody
09-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Is species the correct word to use when refering to syrian, chinese, russian hamsters?
Just want to make sure i'm using the right word!

Yep, they're species rather than breeds. So you would say there are five species of hamster commonly kept as pets (syrian, chinese, roborovski, WW and campbell) rather than 5 breeds of hamster.

If you look at dogs, things like a labrador are breeds as if you cross two labs, you only get labs (a great dane never pops out), but then all dogs are the same species as they have "the same" DNA (i.e. the same number of genes and chromosomes). The definition of species is something like a group of individuals capable of interbeeding to produce viable offspring (yes, there are some cases where you do get live babies from a species cross e.g. mules/hinnys, ligers/tigons, hybrid campbells/wws!).

HayleyBrooks
09-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Yea thts what i meant, soz guys was just writing it out like the title of the assignment lol, my teacher said they're actually really good to do as no one really ever does them for an assignment. I got the hamster lopedia in the libary and got it out along with a couple of others and found loads of stuff that is ideal for my assignment so thanks : ) xx

mangoandmimi
09-25-2010, 12:32 PM
ohh the library... ohh i'm going there toorrow (well now i am...) to get out hamster loppedia will save me a tenner :D

fluffymunchkins
09-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Yep, they're species rather than breeds. So you would say there are five species of hamster commonly kept as pets (syrian, chinese, roborovski, WW and campbell) rather than 5 breeds of hamster.

If you look at dogs, things like a labrador are breeds as if you cross two labs, you only get labs (a great dane never pops out), but then all dogs are the same species as they have "the same" DNA (i.e. the same number of genes and chromosomes). The definition of species is something like a group of individuals capable of interbeeding to produce viable offspring (yes, there are some cases where you do get live babies from a species cross e.g. mules/hinnys, ligers/tigons, hybrid campbells/wws!).

Thankyou I_N, very useful to know :)