PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Adopt - Somerset

Rae
09-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Hi,

I'm looking to adopt, I'm Taunton in Somerset - but can travel. I love campbells, and it would be fantastic to find some who needed a new home. Happy to buy a cage if needed.

I don't want to go and buy a hamster because I know how many need new homes, and how hard it can be to find one in pet stores thats been responsibly breed.

Sorry the post doesn't follow the guide lines - hope thats ok?

Rachel

mangoandmimi
09-18-2010, 11:13 AM
i should have done this before i impatiently bought some robos in p@h lol... i dont like regret it thoo because i love them :)
goodluck in finding camps x

wofunny
09-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Have you looked in your local RSPCA, or P@H adoption center? they usually have lots of hammies needing a home!

Good luck on your search :D x

Rae
09-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Yep, have tried both and I seem to be completely out of luck at the moment!

mangoandmimi
09-18-2010, 12:09 PM
oh! thats surprising my p@h is bursting with animals (hammis!) in the adoption centre ... keep looking!!
try gumtree and preloved they often have unwnted hammies :)

Rae
09-18-2010, 02:23 PM
:confused: even more suprising even preloved and gumtree seem to be empty in my area!!! Maybe I will end up going to the pet shop!!

mangoandmimi
09-18-2010, 02:36 PM
after coming back from the ps with my robos (this was ages ago btw) i looked on gmtree and saw 3 robos... FREE in my area lol. i wanted to smash my head into the wall lol >.< but its not like petshop hams are evil or anything - just they're probs going to sell quicker :)

fluffymunchkins
09-19-2010, 02:18 AM
If you can't find any rescues or any hamsters needing rehoming in your area (take that as a good sign ;))
Then i do urge you to go to a a breeder rather than a pet shop!
Unless your pet shop is good and gets its 'stock' from local breeders, not rodent farms.

Especially if your looking for pure campbells or maybe a particular colouration you might like, then a breeder will be much better :)
Russian dwarfs in pet shops are hybrids, and irresponsibly bred as breeding hybrids can lead to many deformities, death of the mother during birth and much more.
Treo for example was born with only 3 legs due to this.

Just wanted to make sure your aware of this x

Rae
09-19-2010, 02:27 AM
No, I know thats why I wanted to adopt as I'm in the unforunate position of not being able to find any breeders around me either! :rolleyes:

souffle
09-19-2010, 04:42 AM
It depends how far you are prepared to travel to get a hammie Rae. Some breeders in the south that spring to mind who have campbells & WW are Tristar in Bath, Bourne Valley in Dorset I think and Rob Gudgeon, Wessex Hamstery in Devises.
Have you contacted the secretary of the Southern Hamster club to ask about breeders or if you can get to a show there are often hamsters available for adoption there.

mangoandmimi
09-19-2010, 06:18 AM
whereabouts are you in uk?
try actually posting an ad on gumtree :)
am trying to type with mango runnin aruundd soz

Rae
09-21-2010, 05:50 AM
I'm in Taunton, Somerset. I'll try posting on Gumtree - I've also contacted the Southern Hamster club as suggested so hopefully I'll hear something back soon!!

Emzlou09
10-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Hi I know your post was in September so you might have a hammie now but a great pet shop I got my first ever hammie (female) at (and my best hammie) was Aaron's pets. It would be a way for you to travel though (Clevedon, past Weston-Super-Mare) I am not sure where they get there hammies from but every hammie I got there has been amazing and so tame because its not a big store so all the animals get a little more one on one time.. My most recent hammies (2 male) I bought at p@h because I had never got some from there before they are a lot more shy because they didn't get as much time to be handled. Next time I buy a hamster it won't be at p@h. The hammie's I got from Aaron's pets were not scared of noises and they were very tame. The slightest noise I make my new hamsters shoot into their tubes. They are getting a bit better but I defiantly recommend Aarons Pet's if you are willing to travel that far

wofunny
10-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Hi I know your post was in September so you might have a hammie now but a great pet shop I got my first ever hammie (female) at (and my best hammie) was Aaron's pets. It would be a way for you to travel though (Clevedon, past Weston-Super-Mare) I am not sure where they get there hammies from but every hammie I got there has been amazing and so tame because its not a big store so all the animals get a little more one on one time.. My most recent hammies (2 male) I bought at p@h because I had never got some from there before they are a lot more shy because they didn't get as much time to be handled. Next time I buy a hamster it won't be at p@h. The hammie's I got from Aaron's pets were not scared of noises and they were very tame. The slightest noise I make my new hamsters shoot into their tubes. They are getting a bit better but I defiantly recommend Aarons Pet's if you are willing to travel that far

I Love that shop! they had some yummy mink babies :D

Emzlou09
10-07-2010, 10:19 AM
I Love that shop! they had some yummy mink babies :D

Hehe I go in there all the time to buy new things for my hammy's. They had some gorgeous long haired Syrians in there not too long ago was very tempted, but I don't have room for another cage :(