PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm loosing him

rhona
08-09-2006, 05:46 AM
this morning I was tidying all the animals' cages and decided to change Fudge's bedding and I found him soaked in his own wee and poo, with his eyes shut and looking very sorry for himself. I took him downstairs and washed him gently in warm water then I wrapped him up in a towel. I thought once he was clean and dry again he would feel a bit better but I was soo wrong! He's wrapped up in a dry towel in a carrier with a hot wheat bag under it to keep him warm but he is hardly moving :cry:
I can't get him to a vet till later but I don't know how else to keep him comfortable any ideas? :cry: :cry:

souffle
08-09-2006, 06:10 AM
Rhona I am so so sorry to hear about poor Fudge. It may be that his time for being called to the bridge is near. He is quite an old gentleman now and he is probably tired and letting his body become peaceful and ready for its last journey. He may look awful to you but inside he will be warm and drifting as his system lets go.
I have sat up at night with many a precious little one and seen them go and I personally feel that when I know the time has come, and you will know, it is best to allow them to pass gently in the warmth and security of their own little nest watched over by a loving owner. He will feel your love and it will be easy for him. Being boxed and taken to the vet will be traumatic I feel. If you feel able to maybe you could give him a little time to see if he can manage to go without pain. If you think he is in any pain then a trip may be needed and if the vet can do nothing, then the greatest gift you can give him is peaceful rest.
Hugs to you both and my thoughts are with you :cry:

SnuggleHam
08-09-2006, 06:11 AM
I think that’s all you really can do rhona. Besides keeping him warm and in a quite dark place the only other thing is a vet. It’s to bad hamster didn’t fall ill when it was convenient. :(

I know the feeling of helplessness *hugs* Just keep loving him and hope he makes it to see the vet. Sorry to hear about your little one.

Edit: Oh.. hes an old ham. Sorry I didnt realize. I agree with Souffle.

rhona
08-09-2006, 06:15 AM
he is holding on and seems to just want to be with me he keeps cuddling in :cry: my poor old man

pophammy
08-09-2006, 06:25 AM
Oh no Rhona. Every ham's time must come and the only thing you can do is make sure you make the most of the time you have left with him. My thoughts are with you :cry:

Minicooper
08-09-2006, 06:25 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Fudge. I havent been though what you have been though so I dont no what it is like to watch Fudge just laying there. I am preying that Fudge makes it to the vets and I hope he gets though it.

It must be horrible to watch your hammie but at least you love him, thats all that matters.

He's Had a wonderful life and you are a fantastic owner!

My thoughts are with you Rhona and Fudge. :cry: :cry: :cry:

souffle
08-09-2006, 06:26 AM
You are indeed privileged then and as I said it is because he feels your love and trusts you so let him cuddle and enjoy these twilight times. Relax and let him feel you near.

rhona
08-09-2006, 06:29 AM
i think hes gone

pophammy
08-09-2006, 06:32 AM
At least he knows you loved him right to the end and never gave up on him. R.I.P little one, you will be sorely missed. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

souffle
08-09-2006, 06:33 AM
You were there. You were strong you helped him. I told you you could do it. He is gently flying to the bridge. Play happlily little Fudge with all your friends. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Minicooper
08-09-2006, 06:33 AM
I am so sorry rhona. Look back on all the good times you have had with Fudge. :cry: :cry:

He was one lucky hamster to have you as a owner.

rhona
08-09-2006, 06:48 AM
thank you everyone

night night sweetheart mummy and daddy love you

Minicooper
08-09-2006, 07:11 AM
Rest in peace little one :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

SnuggleHam
08-09-2006, 07:20 AM
Im glad he passed on swiftly. Its the worst watching them suffer so its easier in some ways for them to just go quickly.

Many *hugs* Its never easy, no matter how many hamsters or pets you’ve owned.

babyboos
08-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Oh Rhona I am so so sorry
Sweet dreams little one
you will be missed
play, young and whole again over the bridge with all our dearly departed hammy friends

RIP Mr Fudge