PDA

View Full Version : senile hamsters

rhona
08-04-2006, 07:58 AM
can hamsters become senile in their old age?

Fudge is doing increasingly strange things like if he has 2 bowls in his cage he takes food out one bowl and puts it in the other! and if you have him out he walks straight off the bed but he definetly has his eyesight because he responds to you if you wave something infront of him even if it's not touching him.

He has became very quirky in his old age :roll:

Minicooper
08-04-2006, 08:01 AM
how old is he?

rhona
08-04-2006, 08:04 AM
he's between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 but as he's a rescue I am not sure of his age except he is old!

I have had always had hamsters and none have done what he does :roll:

Minicooper
08-04-2006, 08:10 AM
Fudge is doing increasingly strange things like if he has 2 bowls in his cage he takes food out one bowl and puts it is the other! and if you have him out he walks straight off the bed but he definetly has his eyesight because responds to you if you wave something infront of him even if it's not touching him.

Has he got blue spots in the middle of this eyes because the blue spot in the middle of this eyes could be a cataract condition i.e. the lens of the eyeball turning cloudy due to old age. If it isn't this, it is probably just a symptom of old age Rhona but get him checked out any way.

rhona
08-04-2006, 08:13 AM
like I already said he is not blind! there is nothing physically wrong with him

Minicooper
08-04-2006, 08:28 AM
I would still take him to the vet

rhona
08-04-2006, 08:36 AM
You obviously are not reading this right! physically he is fine! he has been doing it for around six months and has been to a vet and told he is fine! so it must be a mental thing!!

Just to add I started this thread to see if any experienced hammy parents had similar experiences with their old ones

SnuggleHam
08-04-2006, 08:55 AM
minicooper, rhona, did not ask if there was anything physically wrong with her hamster. Her hammy does not need to see a vet. When hamsters get older their bodies and minds naturally change and it is perfectly normal. Obviously you misunderstood the question and we know you are just trying to help. But as far as the issue goes I ask that you please drop this subject and focus on the /real/ question at hand.

Thank you :)

Rhona, I bet that all living creatures can go a little senile in their old age. At least I know dogs and cats can :) I wonder to what extent a hammy could go senile that you would notice.. hamsters are silly creatures at times to begin with.

My hamster Gwen seems to take food from her food bowl and then store back in there. It makes no sense to me but she’s certainly not an old hamster yet! Well at least it's not destructive behavior! Quite cute actually. There is a good article about aging hams on HC... have you read it?

Minicooper
08-04-2006, 08:58 AM
sorry Rhona :roll: :roll: :roll:

maybe try reading this article - hope it says something to help

http://www.hamstercentral.com/user.php?action=viewArticle&a=20

rhona
08-04-2006, 09:01 AM
that's ok! :)

thank you for the link I looked for it 3 times and missed it :lol: I'm definitely having one of those days!

thank you for replying snuggleham, I wasn't particularly worried about him but he does seem to be getting stranger and stranger in his old age :lol:

souffle
08-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Rhona - yes we find the oldies do get a little odd! Sometimes they seem a little confused about where to sleep and poop and trundle around looking slightly confused then the next day they seem their old selves again!
If he seems well in all other ways just accept he is an old lad and be thankful he is happy and still with you. Sometimes changes in behaviour can be a sign of some health problem as hamsters are very good at hiding pain or feeling unwell so be very careful to check him well each day and make sure all is normal which I am sure you do anyway.

rhona
08-04-2006, 09:27 AM
I do check him ever night when he gets fed. I'm glad I'm not just imagining things though :lol: I have a tendancy to worry too much :roll:

babyboos
08-04-2006, 05:20 PM
sounds perfectly reasonable hamster behaviour to me Rhona :wink: :lol: :P who are we to even begin to imagine what goes on in their heads sometimes, but hey it is all part of why I love these guys so much. Hours of entertainment and wonder for hamster owners worldwide when our little ones start to get on in months (and hopefully years).

It is very correct to always be vigilant and any health concerns should be discussed with a vet as you did when you first started to see a change in Fudge's behaviour. He sounds like a nice, tidy boy which is unusual as most of my boys are messy tikes. The girls are the clean ones in my house.