View Single Post
Old 05-16-2024, 04:19 PM  
BoosBiggestFan
Newborn Pup

Unhappy First time hamster mum, struggling with anxiety

Hello!

I have recently gotten my first hamster since I was a child and am so happy with him! His name is Boo Cat Whamster and he's a male syrian and is young. We've been doing great work bonding, however I've been struggling with the anxiety surrounding caring for him and his behaviours. I've done loads of research, but when it comes to face to face care I panic a lot. Tonight has made me close to tears a little bit. Something important to note is, I'm autistic. So I feel very strong connection with animals and want the best for them.

Some behaviours Boo exhibits that I remain anxious about:

- Tonight he woke later than usual, did a ten min run on his wheel, ate and drank before sleeping in his hut. He's never done this before.
- I had a LED light and do not know if perhaps turning it bright tonight maybe confused him.
- I am slowly working on bonding, but of course there are bumps and he becomes skittish. If he becomes scared, have I ruined my chance to work together on bonding?
- He sometimes likes napping in his wheel, don't know if that is normal.
- He has NEVER bit me or hissed at me.

He also has so many cool traits about him that make me smile!:
- He loves to climb around his enclosure on his toys.
- He loves his chew hut and carrot.
- He's eaten from my hand multiple times, and even rests his little paws on my finger.
- He loves his wheel when he runs on it!

I really appreciate any care and advice! He has a proper large enclosure btw! <3
BoosBiggestFan is offline   Reply With Quote