View Single Post
Old 02-16-2024, 08:47 AM  
Jeir
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Questions about wheels and cages.

For bar biting, it really depends on the hamster. I've had those who never chewed on the bars, those who only nibbled to get my attention, and one who hated his wheel and always attacked the bars.
For the older Plaza, which I have, you can get acrylic screens to fit over the bars (or replace them entirely), from Viking Lazer. I'm not sure if/when they'll start making screens for the new cage. They are expensive, though.
Otherwise, if you go with the new Plaza, you'll just have to make sure it's super full of enrichment so your hammy wont ever think about what those weird metal lines are. =)

As for a wheel, I'm afraid a good quality wheel that is quiet and will last many hamsters aren't cheap. As mentioned above, there's the Silent Runner, which I used previously, and there's also the Niteangel wheels (and here's an Amazon link), which is what I currently use for both my robo (Medium) and Syrian (Large) as they're easier to clean than the Silent Runners (and I've had less issues with them).
Bucatstate also has wheels that are, erm, inspired by the Niteangel ones, but I haven't tried them, although I have a positive view of the brand (other things I've bought from them have been great quality). There's also the Trixie wooden and plastic wheels, but quality can vary with those, and the plastic ones are far from silent, so I haven't bothered with them in years.

Last edited by Jeir; 02-16-2024 at 11:01 AM.
Jeir is offline   Reply With Quote