View Single Post
Old 02-16-2024, 08:15 AM  
Petite
Senior Hamster

Default Is my hamster ok?

I haven't been around on the forum for some time now, but would like to ask for some advice for my hybrid dwarf.

He is 2 years and 7 months old (I actually thought they didn't live that long) but he is showing his age. He drags his back legs when he walks, although still seems able to use his wheel in short spurts. He will walk up onto a bridge, but then fall down the other side, often head over heels. This doesn't seem to bother him as far as I can tell, and he is still keen to search for the treats I hide around his enclosure. I haven't seen any evidence of hunching, which might suggest pain, but I know that they can be good at masking this.

He also has a lump on one eye, which has been there for some time and has been very gradually growing. I haven't taken him to the vet yet, but have been keeping a careful eye on this. It doesn't seem to cause him pain, but he seems to be almost blind now.

I have never had a hamster live this long before, so it's all new territory for me. I'm dithering over whether to make an appointment for him or not, just to check that he isn't in pain, but I'm afraid given his age and problems that they might suggest putting him to sleep, which I am anxious to avoid. Of course, if they thought he was in pain, I wouldn't hesitate. He's a sweet little hamster and I don't want him to suffer.

Please, what would you do?
Petite is offline   Reply With Quote