View Single Post
Old 01-08-2024, 04:32 PM  
Jendanger
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Chubbs' new cage accessories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeir View Post
Looking at pic 2, Chubbs may indeed be female. =D
Is the wheel at least 11inch/28cm in diameter? That's generally the smallest a syrian should be given, and if Chubbs is indeed female, there's a chance she may need a 12inch wheel, as females can often end up bigger than males. But 11inch is usually good enough.
As for the balls, please avoid them. Hamsters are almost blind (colour blind, and can see clearly maybe 2inches in front of their faces), and the balls are actually terrifying for them. They can't see where they're going, they can't feel anything with their whiskers inside the ball, so every time they knock into something, or worse, fall down something, is just scary/dangerous.
Oh I'm glad I didn't get the ball then. I had thought that I heard a while back that they were rather cruel and not a good thing! The one they had at the store was way too small anyhow. I think I will just get a little bin to put some interesting things in instead and Chubbs can come spend some time with me outside of the regular cage! The wheel I got was the biggest the store had and is 11 inches. I'll make sure to keep an eye on it size wise. The family I got Chubbs from only said that he or she was under a year lol so not sure if there will be more growing. I didn't notice an arched back when Chubbs was using the wheel so I guess that's good so far?

Chubbs also really likes broccoli, black beans, blueberries, bell pepper and the whimzie stick so far so I don't think I'll have much of a picky eater on my hands!
Jendanger is offline   Reply With Quote