View Single Post
Old 12-24-2023, 01:40 PM  
Vaderdader
Newborn Pup

Default New Hamster behaviour!

Hello, i recently got a new hamster (18th of december). First night he was running around and exploring, since then he never comes out when im around(unless its dark) He has a hideout on the top of the cage and a wooden bridge..? on the bottom. He has taken food from my hands, been very still in both my hands cupped together. He has also eaten while being on my hand

. I have been putting toilet paper in his cage for two days(put in pocket for a few hours and rubbed my hands). I have also done the bath tub trick twice(past two nights) He still doesnt want to come into my hands(actively runs away).

I'm slow, soft spoken. Yet he will hide from me, to get him out to try and tame/ bath tub, i have to open his hideout and scoop. Am i moving way too quick? WHen it is night time(he stays in my room) he comes out and goes on his flat wheel and runs, chews his wooden flexi bridge, eats food and drinks water. Yet as soon as im near he runs for the hills! He also sometimes takes food, sometimes not and it's always been little carrot slices, so i hide them around his burrow.

I know it is all patience, however i sometimes feel progress and then a reverse in it. Am i just overthinking it and i just need to leave him alone for a bit? or just keep doing what i'm doing and he'll just calm down and warm to me?

Help would be greatly appreciated.
Vaderdader is offline   Reply With Quote