View Single Post
Old 12-20-2023, 10:00 PM  
lovehamsters01
Hamster Pup

Default what do I do now??

ok so this is kind of a long story but I'm going to try to make it quick.
one week ago, I noticed blood in my robo hamster, Coco's cage. I couldn't tell where it was coming from.
I freaked out because usually this means UTI or tumor from my previous experience. However, Coco was acting very normally, without any behavioral changes so I didn't feel like it was a life and death emergency.
I finally managed to get her to the vet today. I hadn't noticed any fresh blood yesterday or today, but blood is never good, and I wanted to get her seen.
As expected, the vet (who I honestly wasn't impressed with because she called Coco a Russian dwarf when she is very obviously a robo) said I can do an ultrasound to find out but its either a reproductive infection or a tumor.
i decided an ultrasound wasn't so necessary so I chose to put her on an anti-inflammatory and an anti-biotic and go from there, knowing that if she started bleeding again in the future, it's probably a tumor, and if not, then it was an infection. the vet also decided to give her some fluids, iron, and vitamins to make up for the lost blood.
I was confused because Coco was still acting normal, even though its been a week and hamsters usually get very taken over by infections so I thought to myself its probably cancer, but regardless the meds should help for now.
So I paid a fortune for the appointment, fluids and meds and went home to give Coco her first dose. She got anxious (she is a robo after all) and was letting off some steam in her wheel in between medications. when I gently slowed down the wheel, I noticed fresh blood ON HER FOOT! so clearly this is no tumor or infection, and instead a wound on her foot. So I'm extremely annoyed at the vet for such a off-mark diagnosis but I have a few questions for now:
1. How can a hamster get hurt on the foot? is this a problem with a nail?
2. is there anything to do for it?
3. should I just completely not give the anti-biotics and anti-inflammatory?
4. is there any chance the vet will reimburse me at least for the meds? (which are opened because I didn't realize until after) I spent $500 for very unnecessary treatment due to a very wrong diagnosis! and the appointment itself is only $188, the rest was all fluids and meds.
If anyone actually took the time to read this, THANK YOU!
lovehamsters01 is offline   Reply With Quote