View Single Post
Old 03-26-2023, 11:32 PM  
Aaawhyme
Newborn Pup

Default My hamster is terrified of me no matter how much I handle her

My fairly new female syran hamster, "Black Forest Ham". Seems terrified whenever I approach her or try to pick her up.
She's bitten me deeply a few times now, and often freaks out like it's the end of the world when I reach into her cage to pet her or handle her.

I've had her about a month and a half now and she has a large bin cage with plenty to do and seems content enough to take treats from my hand when she's settled down a bit.

I have had a few female Syran hamsters before her and while I don't claim to be a hamster expert, I'd like to think I've got some hamster experience behind my belt and can usually deal with hams that need some extra work.

Maybe this is just me prematurely seeking advice, as shes still fairly new, but I'm just curious what I could be doing wrong with this little one or what I might be able to do to get her to warm up to me or at least not freak out and see me as a threat constantly.

All my previous hams have ended up warming up to me so much that they were my little buddies sitting with me for hours or sleeping in my sleeve while I work.
They warmed up fairly quickly within a month or two and I'm just struggling to get a connection with Black Forest. This baby gets handled everyday, and yet she still seems terrified of me when I approach her cage or try to pick her up. And is always smelling strongly of that fear scent they let off when scared. Does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts on what I can do to put her more at ease with me or her environment?

I also notice she pees in her wheel and her nest and doesn't seem to have a clear pee spot.
Nor does she appear to have a hoard stashed somewhere. I specifically look for these things when cleaning her cage. I find it odd and don't know if this is some clue to her fearful behavior. Like maybe she doesn't feel safe enough to make a hoard or have a designated pee spot?

I should also state that I live alone and she's my only pet, so there's no other scents that would be in the area that she would be afraid of

Last edited by Aaawhyme; 03-26-2023 at 11:38 PM.
Aaawhyme is offline   Reply With Quote