Thread: Unhappy hamster
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2023, 09:51 AM  
patchoulicloori

Default Unhappy hamster

Hi,
We got our hamster at Christmas and housed him in a Ferplast cage (99 x 51,5 x h 36) as recommended by many here. He has deep bedding of about 6 inches at least using the kaytee bedding and a very big wooden house which he uses to store his food in and where he sleeps. He has apple sticks, wooden carrots, a very large Trixie wheel as well as whimzees to chew on. He has reptisand to bathe in and coconut coir in a box to dig about in. He'll take food from our hand, but bites if there's no food (in an exploratory way rather than an agressive manner). We can stroke him, but understand if he doesn't want to be handled--it's no big issue to us. However, this is one unhappy wee man. He is just desperate to get free. I feel terrible for having ever got a caged animal and don't know what to do! He's bitten two holes in the base of the Ferplast, the last one almost big enough to escape before I blocked it. What can we do to make him happy? If we can't make him happy, is there a good place to take him where he he might find some sort of contentment. It's awful seeing him madly trying to escape. The wheel works smoothly. What else could be the issue? I do wonder if he perhaps just hates being a caged animal, which would seem like a normal response for what is really a wild animal?
patchoulicloori is offline   Reply With Quote