View Single Post
Old 02-14-2023, 05:33 PM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Birch bedding? Teabag bedding?

Plastic isn't digestible. It doesn't matter what kind, the non brittle types just make it a tiny bit less dangerous by removing one of the many unsafe aspects. That doesn't make it safe at all though. It's important to keep in mind though that hamster safety and human safety are two extremely different things that very often just don't align.

I'd lean towards something that only uses virgin fiber like Small Pet Select's paper bedding if that's an option for you. That removes potential risks that recycled products carry.

Odor control is also going to depend on substrate depth. Deep substrate is going to be more absorbent in general than a thinner layer, and it has the benefit of lasting much longer especially if you're not overcleaning. Overcleaning can also stress hamsters out plus make them overcompensate by making them scent mark far more than they otherwise would which can include urine marking and make things get a lot smellier!

I'd also like to add the option of Aubiose in. It's a very high quality pure hemp - some hemp has unsafe additives like citronella so it isn't always a safe option depending on brand. It also is sold towards horses so it comes in fairly large amounts, and in the UK from what I've seen it tends to be fairly affordable. Hemp also has the benefit of being extremely unlikely to cause an allergic reaction in hamsters unlike wood. I know we've heard of some humans being allergic to hemp on the forum but overall hamsters just don't seem to be in general(nothing is impossible though).
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote