View Single Post
Old 02-14-2023, 09:38 AM  
PetsareGreat
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Birch bedding? Teabag bedding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_78 View Post
I don't have a problem with teabag bedding personally (opinions will vary of course). I don't find it ideal as a main bedding because it's springy and not very absorbent. I use it as nesting material. The lack of absorbency isn't ideal for nesting material either, but I have a huge bag to use up! I could post you some to try if you wanted, as you probably don't want to buy a very large bag when you're not sure about it.

The plastics are microscopic particles. We also use plastic water bottles, plastic cage bases etc, and occasionally a hamster will nibble those without any harm being done. The concern is more with certain types of brittle plastic that could cause injury in the rare event that a shard is swallowed.

Bear in mind that humans dip teabags into water and then drink it and that doesn't kill us so I don't see how the presence of microscopic particles around a hamster could reasonably cause serious harm. I'm aware there are concerns about the long-term, cumulative impact of microplastics, but that's more relevant to humans who are drinking tea made with teabags than it is to a hamster who isn't eating its bedding.
Thank you.
I'm looking for a main bedding, so sounds like teabag bedding isn't ideal for that.
PetsareGreat is offline   Reply With Quote