View Single Post
Old 01-09-2023, 01:18 PM  
briocheham
Newborn Pup

Default Re: I've barely seen my new hamster (he is 7 weeks old)

hi there!!
this is very normal for new hamsters, it'll take awhile for them to develop a stable sleep schedule. it's also normal for young hamsters, as they've just been separated from their siblings and placed into somewhere very new. it's all scary for them. i've had my 2 month old female syrian for just over 2 weeks now and she is still adjusting but starting to come out roughly around the same time (anytime between 9pm-11pm) and going to bed around 6am-8am

adding the toilet paper, talking to him & sitting near him for the first few days is perfectly fine. i left my hamster alone for around 4 days before trying to feed her treats from between my fingers. keep initial interaction brief, just giving him treats like i did!

keep an eye on his behaviour if you can and you'll know when he's comfortable. fortunately, my hamster is used to humans and didn't take long to start taking food from me. she's even okay with being picked up now!

not being active much when he firsts arrive doesn't mean he will become a ghost hamster. although it's possible, i wouldn't make that assumption!

patience with new hamsters is key, as well as gently introducing yourself to them. i would also advise limiting interaction with family members as well, so your hamster does not get overwhelmed! remember to not force interaction either, let your hamster come to you when he is ready

i hope this helps
briocheham is offline   Reply With Quote