View Single Post
Old 01-09-2023, 04:47 AM  
Jox25
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Hamster not eating

Hi everyone, hope I’m posting in the right place.

So I have an 18 month old dwarf hamster called bean who has always loved his food, it’s usually his favourite time of the day.
He has always weighed 47g his whole life, I noticed he was losing weight and he was stashing his food but not actually eating it, his urine also appeared to have blood in. After taking him to the vet it was a urine infection which he was given antibiotics for (he hadn’t been eating before the blood was in his urine) so I had been giving him organic baby food. Even after his infection has gone he still won’t eat anything but baby food and is still stashing his food. The vet said maybe he isn’t eating because he would rather have the baby food but I said I started giving him the baby food in the first place because he wasn’t eating ?

He has lost 10g in about a month and it now 37g still not eating his usual food, he will eat the odd piece of cucumber or lettuce and he loves the baby food but I have noticed his poo has started smelling of it, im worried I’m encouraging him to not eat by giving him the baby food?

I know hamsters don’t eat as much as they age but he won’t even eat a mealworm he just leaves it or stashed it and the thing is he isn’t even eating out of his stash. Can someone help??
Jox25 is offline   Reply With Quote