View Single Post
Old 01-02-2023, 08:55 AM  
Colby
Newborn Pup

Question I've barely seen my new hamster (he is 7 weeks old)

Hi everyone, I'm a new hamster owner and new to hamster forums as well so please bare with me if I'm asking questions in the wrong location!

As for my question, I've had my new ham for about 3 days now which I picked up from a breeder, he's about 7 weeks old now for reference. When I first picked him up from the breeder, he seemed skittish yet okay with humans observing him, he ate, drank and groomed in his carrier while I traveled back home.

After arriving home to a much larger cage compared to his carrier(930ish sq inches and 6-10 inches of bedding to burrow) he found a dark spot behind his wheel to hide behind. He slowly ventured out to different parts of the cage discovering new things. After about 15 minutes of exploration, he burrowed down to the very bottom of his cage where he napped from the exhausting trip.

Over the past few days, he's continued to eat, drink, use his sand bath, run in his wheel etc. However the times at which he comes out have varied, for example his first night he came out at around 10pm and had a massive party in the cage, night two however he came out at around 1am which worried me, and night 3 he came out at around midnight.

I'm really just wondering how I can find a time to interact with him, as instructed I've been giving him space for his first few days and will begin putting toilet paper shreds with my scent in his cage. My fear is that he'll become a ghost hamster if I'm unable to introduce myself in time.

Questions you might be able to answer:

-Is this behavior normal for a new and young hamster?

-Will I be able to find time to interact with him, and how?

-Does this mean he will be a ghost hamster or is he just simply acclimating to his environment?

Thank you to anyone reading for your help!
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote