View Single Post
Old 12-09-2022, 05:45 PM  
ElenaGD
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Wet fur around mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviashutch View Post
Hi everyone,
unfortunately my sweet girl passed away not so long ago. I noticed that she was acting weird and I took her to the vet multiple times but they said that she was just grumpy but very healthy (they examined her with lots of care so I’m not blaming anyone). When she passed away she was really skinny (almost like she lost all of her weight during the night), she was keeping her ears down and her head was (in my opinion) kinda swollen around her eyes (at first I thought about an ear or an eye infection but the vet ruled it out). Throughout these months, I sometimes found her with wet fur around her mouth again. At this point I still don’t know what it is caused by. My best guess is still that it could be caused by hamsters sleeping under bedding (and maybe a glass cage like mine, that doesn’t really allow the greatest ventilation)). Here in Italy, during summer it gets SO hot, and I did in fact ended up getting an air conditioner system for my pets.

About your hamster, I think that since they are on the elderly side, it could probably be because of their age. I personally think that if it was something that could cause any pain (an infection or a dental problem) it shouldn’t be something sporadic (since infections don’t really go away by their own). I would suggest maybe trying to keep the cage clean around their nest area and switch to a bottle instead of a bowl. Also some materials (like linum and hemp) are more indicated to keep their cage fresh and cool (especially during summer, so maybe I would give that a try).

Hopefully you will get answers soon xxx
I am really sad reading what happened and I feel bad for your loss. I wish our friends were forever
my little furball is also in a glass enclosure, formerly a fish house, so we have more in common.
all I want is to do everything possible to make her well, pain free and happy.
precisely today it gave me a scare when it began to sneeze non-stop, the substrate that I put on it released dust and I had to change it completely. after that he had no moisture on his neck or more sneezing
ElenaGD is offline   Reply With Quote