View Single Post
Old 10-09-2022, 02:44 PM  
kattsy
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Book lice problem in hamsters cage. Any help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
A full mesh top alone may potentially still not be enough ventilation compared to the level of ventilation a barred cage or even a cage with one or more barred/meshed side(lacking cross ventilation which can make a big difference).

That said even barred cages can have ventilation issues with hideouts, tunnels, etc if they're plastic or other non breathable materials - for example plastikoted wood isn't breathable like unfinished wood would be.

I would be extremely careful using any sort of pesticides and insecticides in the room where the hamster is. They can be highly toxic for such sensitive species, or at the very least potentially irritating to their respiratory system. Food grade diatomaceous earth is one thing I would definitely recommend trying around the room in general though since it mechanically kills anything with an exoskeleton & unlike synthetic pesticides and such they can't develop a resistance or tolerance to it over time. A thorough cage clean should help too though.
Our vet sells this "Indorex® Defence Pumpspray" which apparently is safe for animals. I wouldn't spray it with her in the room anyway, I'd set up a temporary bin cage for a day or two, clean out her cage, spray the room and let it all air out for 24 h before putting anything back. I think that should be fine (i wouldn't spray it inside the cage, just use pet-safe disinfectant).
I have tried looking for diatomaceous earth but i live in Switzerland and i can never find it anywhere (
kattsy is offline   Reply With Quote