View Single Post
Old 10-07-2022, 09:08 PM  
ShadowNinjaHamster

Default Re: Would it be a little too soon to take a new hamster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
No that wouldn't be suitable because it's fabric. "Gauze". A hamster would chew through it and also could ingest the chewed material.

By "mesh" it means metal - strong like cage bars - like this

1cm square mesh - Google Search

I don't mean to be rude but - if you are going to keep another hamster and you ask for advice on here, it is really not a good idea to disagree with us when we answer questions and give advice on welfare and safety and then you just ignore and do something else.

While I fully appreciate what you say - that you trusted Bogie - that is just not a safe or practical approach to hamster care. It is our responsibility to make sure they are in a secure cage and not put them at risk. You can't possibly know a hamster wouldn't just decide to walk out of those bars - no-one can know that. Yes we know our hamsters - yes you might get away with it once or twice. Maybe you have been lucky there. But it's frustrating when we pass on all the welfare advice and you don't take it onboard.

The bar spacing was mentioned a long time ago. It was taking a risk and that is not what hamster welfare is about. Please don't get another hamster until you fully accept what is safe and what isn't.
I mean Bogie couldn't literally get out even if he wanted to though? He couldn't even reach the bars anyway, as there was not enough bedding and he didn't even try to. Also, his nest was away from corners. He wouldn't have been able to get out since there was no bedding at the edge of the cage.
ShadowNinjaHamster is offline   Reply With Quote