View Single Post
Old 10-07-2022, 01:01 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Would it be a little too soon to take a new hamster?

I don't think that Syrian looks overweight - but possibly pregnant. It's hard to tell when they're curled up and sleeping.

I think we've all just seen a hamster that has been "the one" - they come over and look at you or something. And that's why we get them. They bring us great joy and they are totally dependent on us and it feels like a worry and responsibility sometimes - until you get used to it. And when they get older are sick there are always hard decisions to make and we learn from experiences. I used to be horrified at the idea of euthanasia - now I think it's a good thing. Harder for the owner than the pet. And however much they give us joy and friendship, welfare is the key - ensuring they have a happy life, suitable surroundings, avoiding stress for them (they are so susceptible to stress).

That's another thing to be aware of/careful of. If it's a female hamster it could possibly be pregnant. Pet shops can be rubbish at sexing/segregating them. Many people get a hamster and end up with a litter of babies and then have to rehome them. Some get a male and find it's a female (although with Syrians it's easier to tell which is which).

Female syrians can also be incredibly active and gregarious and need a lot of space. And they come on heat every four days and some people find the musky smell a bit overpowering when they're on heat. Some hamsters smell more than others in that way, some hardly at all, and some people don't notice it and some do.

Males can be more lazy or laid back and hide away more and it's harder getting them to come out of the cage - but that is a generalistion - you can get some very active males as well (I have one at the moment). Either way they are nice - just different personalities. I found the lazy ones are more likely to accept cuddles. But can also be more stressed by changes.

Generally they are thought to be a healthier species and less prone to disease than dwarf hamsters - none of ours have ever been sick until they got old - but that's a generalisation as well as any hamster can be born with a genetic issue.

When looking at them, see if their eyes are bright and they seem fairly active - not necessarily fast, but if woken, do they go and eat and drink and move around ok. That kind of thing.

It's sad seeing them in pet shops. Some people adopt because they don't want to support pet shop practices - but adopted ones are usually from pet shops as well. You could also see if there are any reputable breeders. Then they have a genetic pedigree and their history is known, and they're usually hand tamed from birth - and breeders usually give ongoing follow up and advice if you have a problem.

Last edited by Pebbles82; 10-07-2022 at 01:15 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote