View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 06:22 AM  
BartyCrouchJr
Newborn Pup

Default Hamster not chewing/eating

Hi everyone,

My dwarf hamster (Russian/Hybrid winter white) had to have his teeth trimmed yesterday as they had curled under and were in contact with the roof of his mouth I had noticed in the last few weeks he was slowly losing weight, but still eating vegetables and his favourite treats so put it down to coming into winter then since Saturday he was even refusing his favourite foods so took him to the vet yesterday and found his overgrown teeth. I feel really terrible about it, and so sorry that I didn't notice anything sooner poor hammy. He has loads of things to chew on in his tank and he just doesn't, he's not a bigger chewer. He also had his claws clipped and the vet said he was the friendliest and best behaved dwarf hamster he'd ever met

Since returning home however he's still not eating properly. If I give him something to eat he will just turn it over and over and not actually chew on it like he should be. He's clicking as well when he does this, i'm not sure if this is a pain response or frustration. Would I be right in thinking it will take a few days for him to heal? I'm guessing if they were at the roof of his mouth there is probably some pain there?

I boiled some carrots and mushed them together, and also warmed up a mix of seeds and nuts from his food which I also mushed up (separate bowls) and he is currently eating these/licking them from the bowl or my finger so he is getting something in him but I just hope he can come back and be his best little self again, i'm really worried about him

Any ideas? or just needs time to heal? He's still bright in himself, fur is nice and soft and bright eyes, I just want him to be ok. Thank you
BartyCrouchJr is offline   Reply With Quote