View Single Post
Old 09-29-2022, 11:11 AM  
heidii
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Actually Ethical Hamster Breeders

I'm not really trying to find the perfect hamster from the perfect breeder. I loved Pico. It was SO rewarding having one of the most known skittish types of hamsters comfortably sit on my hand to eat. I loved his personality and how interested he was in what I was doing, whether that be out of the cage or in the cage. I know how perfect Pico was before he passed, and definitely know I can get something similar through adoption.

I don't think you have to be one or the other with adoption/breeding. I rescue wherever I can and rehome, this being more than just hamsters. I rely on people wanting to adopt a hamster. I have no issues with hamsters who may have been neglected in previous homes.

With that being said, I think it's common knowledge that the hamsters we have today have many health problems. I firmly believe this is due to the small sample size we initially collected for domestication. This has been a consistent issue with pet stores and backyard breeders, where the linage of a hamster has always gone unknown. I really want to emphasise that I understand the importance of adopting. However, with the consistent genetic issues and poor health that hamsters, rats, and mice all consistently face, I think it is really important to focus on breeding healthier, stronger and more resilient hamsters if we are to keep on owning them. This thread was solely to ask people if they have any experiences with breeders who they thought were really good, really caring and bred for the longevity, health and temperament of the species. I like the concept of all hamsters having a better chance at life by having stronger genetics but that can only be done by supporting breeders who care.

Again, Engel. Really informative comments as always. I was adamant about rescuing before Neptr, if you want to go through my posts, please don't pick and choose. Here I talk about how I have been looking for a hamster on all the websites that are appropriate for hamster rehoming. Following Neptr, the ONLY hamster to come up within the following month or two (and may I specify, actually went through. Some did come up but they were quickly given to family members instead of rehoming) was Pico, who I also took in. As I specified earlier, I am no longer interested in solely supporting a breeder based on their associations with the NHC. I did also admit to my faults in my first post of this thread, which you so kindly brought up again. I admit I was blinded by the concept of finally getting a hamster, thought I was doing better than supporting a pet store, and blindly agreed that a Pedigree & compliance with the NHC meant I was doing good. With that being said, I believe Towy Vale did care for the hamsters, however their information was outdated and I only want to support breeders who consistently update themselves on new care. It isn't a hard thing to ask for a pedigree hamster and a breeder who rehomes out to 100x50cm enclosures. Not sure why we're making it out to be, as this only validates poor breeding.

--
I don't like the direction of where this thread is headed. It never meant to spark issues with people. I just wanted to hear from people who had good experiences with breeders. I am not going to continue replying as clearly we just have different views. I agree with adoption, I love adopting and rehoming, however I also agree with making the species we all love healthier through proper breeding. Thanks for the replies.
heidii is offline   Reply With Quote