View Single Post
Old 09-28-2022, 05:20 PM  
heidii
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Actually Ethical Hamster Breeders

Like I said, not something I'm going to change my mind on really. I've had rescues since Pico, and will continue taking in the odd hamster. I have a pedigree dog, I have a mixed breed dog. I am typically not fussed about the sourcing of my animals for as long as they aren't pet-store bought/backyard breeder supporting.

I do support the breeding of animals like hamsters and rats and mice, however. Obviously, since I started rehoming animals (having rescuing/rehoming other types of animals before focusing on hamsters), I understand the importance of adoption. However, animals like hamsters have been wronged by humans. Small genetic pools have really limited the species. I think supporting breeders who focus on expanding genetic pools is something I want to support. I will not change my mind on this, so please don't reply asking me to do so.

I may or may not keep a hamster I rescue. They will be the last hamster, as I've decided 3 is a comfortable number of hamsters for me, 4 being not ideal but I definitely couldn't have any more than that as of the moment. I am as scared as any other owner of their animals dying, I won't hide that. But knowing the date their born, family lines and ailments that occur in their families will be some form or reassurance.

Again, it's not something I want to change my mind on. Please don't add another comment unless it's answering my initial question.
heidii is offline   Reply With Quote