View Single Post
Old 09-26-2022, 06:25 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Agree. I would also be giving Metacam so maybe ask your vet about that. Sometimes they say continue the antibiotics for two weeks in case it’s a particularly tough infection to shift - so I wouldn’t stop them yet if the vet has prescribed them for two weeks for example.

Any kind of swelling in an older hamster is usually something serious unfortunately- whether it’s fluid or infection. And the best thing is to keep her comfortable which Metacam will do hopefully. She is bound to be in pain or discomfort- they hide it very well. You can usually see them perk up a bit more once the Metacam is started.

Are you due to take her back to the vet for a check up after the antibiotics? I suspect they would give you options

Either investigate or keep her comfortable or, if they think she is really suffering or to avoid a traumatic worsening they may suggest pts .

Agree. I would also be giving Metacam so maybe ask your vet about that. Sometimes they say continue the antibiotics for two weeks in case it’s a particularly tough infection to shift - so I wouldn’t stop them yet if the vet has prescribed them for two weeks for example.

Any kind of swelling in an older hamster is usually something serious unfortunately- whether it’s fluid or infection. And the best thing is to keep her comfortable which Metacam will do hopefully. She is bound to be in pain or discomfort- they hide it very well. You can usually see them perk up a bit more once the Metacam is started.

Are you due to take her back to the vet for a check up after the antibiotics? I suspect they would give you options

Either investigate or keep her comfortable or, if they think she is really suffering or to avoid a traumatic worsening they may suggest pts .

If it is pyometra it would probably need a long course of antibiotics - at least two weeks I think. I don’t know if one sided swelling is a sign of that or not - off the top of my head I would think not. But it could be an abscess or tumour. If it’s an abscess it could be drained but chances are that would go down with the antibiotics. Have a chat with the vet - sometimes they’ll do a phone consultation- and ask how long you should continue with the antibiotics. I think you need to give them a chance for a few more days.

Last edited by souffle; 09-27-2022 at 03:57 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote