View Single Post
Old 09-22-2022, 02:24 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: My hamster isn't eating almost anything

I don't think that's a good idea taking him on a long journey. And no I wouldn't force him to come out. If he's avoiding coming onto your hand, he might be in pain and avoiding things. Would he walk into a tube? Eg with a bit of smelly food at the far end to tempt him into? Then lift him out in the tube and onto your knee on a blanket (while you're on the sofa or something) and just stroke him on your knee and see how he is. I sometimes used to find they perk up when out of the cage and want to start exploring the sofa or eat something from your hand. It might give you an idea of if he is standing and walking ok.

Alternatively - just leave him as he is - if he's still doing some normal routine things like using his sand bath and peeing, then he can get up.

The main thing is he gets water as he won't survive without that. But if a hamster is dying they sometimes get to the point where they don't want food and water.

One of our syrians when dying, only left his nest to use his toilet - and did that right to the end, even though he no longer wanted food - but would take liquid from a teaspoon while in his nest.

First thing to do is move his food bowl and water as close as you can to his house and nest so he can get at them easily.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote