View Single Post
Old 09-21-2022, 09:38 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Thick Dark Brown Urine

Exactly - don’t even go there. Sadly kidneys may be failing anyway- it’s one of the first things that does tend to start going in old hamsters. It’s just old age. I would rather have them pain free and on Metacam than try and save their kidneys.

I also think 0.03 mls of dog Metacam a day sounds right. I was only once told to give Metacam twice a day and that was a split dose. So it would be half of 0.03 mls twice a day.

When our Syrian had surgery I gauged whether Metacam was lasting 24 hours by seeing how he was. He definitely was in need of it after 24 hours and I could see it was wearing off by next day - but it dies last 24 hours. I would go back to giving 0.03mls once a day and see how he is - if he’s looking a bit fragile when the dose is due then think about doing a split dose. A split dose is a pain as it’s such a tiny amount to measure out and they might not always want it at the right time.

I tend to give it in baby food - just dropped on top of a teaspoon of baby food and leave it out at feeding time early evening. Sometimes they eat it straight away but usually they’ll have a bit then finish it off some time during the night. So the dose gets spread out a bit anyway but still keeps them pain free.

Good he is doing fine.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote