View Single Post
Old 09-21-2022, 08:08 AM  
RolyRocks
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Thick Dark Brown Urine

Thank you so much for your advice.
I give 0.03mls and that was the correct amount when he was 49 grams. He is now 45 grams so maybe the dose needs to be lessoned. When I spoke to my vet a while ago she said I could give that same dose twice daily if I feel he needs it. Due to the weight loss and noticing he is not eating so much I thought I would start giving it twice a day, but now wonder if like you said, this may be causing the problem. I started giving it to him back in January when he lost a lot of weight and as he was nearly 2 years old was advised to keep him on it due to his old age. So he had actually been on the 1 dose daily for 8-9 months but I have been reluctant to stop it because he has been doing so well. The metacam I give is the 1.5mg/ml oral suspension for dogs.
My exotic vet that is away on holiday this week actually got the metacam dosage wrong originally and I have been advised that there aren't any other vets at the practice that are knowledgeable on hamsters. Another vet at a different practice actually said to me "why would you want a hamster"! It is sad that I am yet to find a vet that I trust to treat Loki.
I know he is very old, but at the moment I really don't feel he is suffering. He still happily chomps away on his veg every morning and I see him out during the day nibbling on his favourite wooden sticks.
I know it is hard for you guys to say, but would you recommend stopping the metacam in the evening? I also don't know whether it is best to have just the one dose in the morning or split the dose so he gets a small amount twice a day. I was just worried because of their fast metabolism that the dose will have worn off by the evening.
I do give him cucumber everyday because he isn't a big drinker but I will go and get him some watermelon now. I just want want to do everything I can for him. He's extremely special to me.

Last edited by RolyRocks; 09-21-2022 at 08:18 AM.
RolyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote