View Single Post
Old 09-20-2022, 02:28 AM  
sushi_78
Hamster Overlord

Default Re: Diabetic Hamster Food

I looked into it recently and it seems likely that hamster diabetes doesn't fit perfectly into either human type 1 or type 2. Type 1 diabetes is caused by autoimmune damage to the pancreas leading to insufficient insulin production. It usually comes on quickly in children or young people but can develop in older adults and there is also a slow-developing form. Type 2 diabetes is initially caused by insulin resistance (where there is enough insulin but it doesn't work properly, usually the result of obesity/poor diet etc but not always, especially if there is a strong genetic predisposition) but chronically high blood sugar levels can damage the cells in the pancreas that produce insulin which is why some people with tpe 2 diabetes need insulin as well. Also people with type 1 diabetes can develop insulin resistance too.

Chinese hamsters with diabetes seem to have insufficient insulin which would make it seem a bit more similar to type 1 but can't be identical or they would all die very soon after onset which doesn't always happen. I don't think diabetes in Russian dwarfs has been studied.

Regardless of the type of diabetes, a diet that places less demand on the pancreas has got to be part of the answer, so no sugars or refined carbohydrates. In humans a low carb diet is quite helpful but I'm not sure how feasible that is with hamsters which naturally eat mostly grains. The Rodipet diet I'm sure is better than the average hamster food containing fruits, processed pellets and so on.
sushi_78 is offline   Reply With Quote