View Single Post
Old 09-13-2022, 08:52 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Slightly swollen sides

To be honest, if there is swelling going on, it is something serious. And she may be in her twilight time. It is incredibly difficult without a clear diagnosis. But Sepsis from pyometra is not a nice way to go and I would be inclined to want to give antibiotics and pain relief. If it's not infection then the Metacam will help, the antibiotics won't. The thing to do there then is find the least stressful way to give the meds. That is what I have always done (it worked very well with an easily stressed robo). By putting the meds in food. That's easy with metacam but not with the antibiotics - it needs to be something that will disguise the taste and what worked for me (after a very helpful tip from Vectis, a breeder on here) was a particular brand of beefy dog food for small dogs. It looked a bit like corned beef - not big lumps or anything. But probably more strongly flavoured than corned beef.

Just a pea sized amount with the antibiotic mixed in on a separate little dish. It not only got eaten but the hamster demanded more! I'd give them at different times of day. I'd put the antibiotic out midday - it would usually all be gone either straight away or by tea time. And the Metacam in baby food out in the evening - which sometimes wouldn't go until during the night but always gone by next morning. Because they only have small stomachs and wouldn't manage both at the same time.

But yes discuss with the vet first about giving the antibiotics - you'll need her weight for the dosage possibly as well (for that and metacam).

If she does have kidney issues, then yes Metacam is thought, by some to worsen kidney issues (another reason the correct dose is important). But as I understand it from my vet that is usually only if the dose is too high. And frankly, if she has kidney issues to start with ...........they can be painful too. Hamsters are very good at hiding pain and discomfort as prey animals.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote