View Single Post
Old 09-11-2022, 01:52 PM  
Peanui
Newborn Pup

Default Dry and flaky skin + fur loss ...

Hello, I have a rescue male Syrian long-haired hamster (about 8 months of age) named Gablu who has extremely dry and flaky skin (especially near his neck and over his spinal region) and is having a lot of fur loss. His doctor has taken some of his hair (+root) samples to check for any fungal infection but the test results can take between 3-4 weeks to come. His doctor doesn't think that he has mites and the exotic vet has no way of checking it. I have been told that it's most likely not mites but have also been told that a treatment (for mites) with injections can be started. I do not know the associated risks and whether I should get something started without having full knowledge. For now, I have been asked to give him a drop of flax seed oil with his food for 4 weeks, a drop of multi-vitamins once every 2 days for 3 weeks, and a dry shampoo to be given twice a week. I haven't given him the dry shampoo after being told by many hamster boards to not do so as it contains water. I see more and more bald areas forming on his skin. He has received fur trimming. Can anyone please tell me what may be the problem? Can I help him by using some cold-pressed olive oil over his dry skin?

He lived in a horrible condition with his previous human for the first six months of his life. Many thanks in advance.
Peanui is offline   Reply With Quote