Thread: NewCage
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2022, 05:17 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: NewCage

Just to add - a move from a barred cage to a diy type is a huge change of environment so as well as moving everything across without cleaning, I would highly recommend a transition period of a day or two. It’s a bit of a faff but it really helps the hamster settle in quickly and avoid stress. I’ve found this with trial and error.

So when the new cage is set up with some substrate and a few new items - you let the hamster have some out of cage time in it - a playtime. They may get all excited and explore everything or they may be a bit freaked and hide or sit in one corner. Some people leave then in there at that point when they seem excited and exploring everything but I wouldn’t advise it.

Put them back in their old cage for the night (and they are usually relieved by that - the familiarity). Then repeat next day - at that point you could decide to move them in rather than do the same thing for two days - depending how they are. They are already familiar with the new cage and have scent marked it s bit.

So then you’d put them somewhere safe (eg a pet carrier) in another room from the cages (they can get quite distressed hearing and smelling you doing stuff to their cage and the noises - they know something is going on!).

Then move everything over from the old cage to the new. When it’s all finished and set up - move the hamster into the new cage. They should settle much quicker but can still be a bit jittery for s few days.

Another important thing is to take the old cage out of the room - ideally clean it out and put it away somewhere. They can get quite upset if they can still smell or sense the old familiar cage in the room. Our first hamster used to regularly go back k to the spot where his old cage was (when he was free roaming) snd have a good sniff and look a bit sad!

It’s like moving house really! It’s a huge change even if it’s for the better. The difference is - we know it’s going to happen and have some control and nobody throws our bed away in the process!
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote