Thread: Hello Hammy
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2022, 06:18 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Hello Hammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanza View Post
Sadly it’s not big enough for me to sit in and your right, when I’ve organised an area that is secure for free roaming that I can sit in he does venture onto my legs and lap. If I did more of this perhaps I would perhaps reach a point where I could carry him in my hands. I really need to figure the free roaming out for him so he can do it more often.

I keep thinking of a cage upgrade too, he’s quite a big hamster for the cage he’s in. He’s never shown me any signs that he’s unhappy with the cage but he kinda looks big in it. My OH thinks I’m being daft and that a cage move to something bigger that may not be barred (as he’s only ever had a barred cage) could upset him. Maybe I’m over thinking it as since we added the Sputnik and upper bridges for extra walk ways he’s completely embraced these. I would say he uses everything in his cage at some point during the evening so that’s a good sign I guess.
Our 280g Jack lives in an Alaska which is similar to the Hamster Heaven so i know what you mean. He gets plenty of free roaming time and waits to get picked up after a while because he wants to go back in his cage. I've been thinking of upgrading him to a Savic Plaza but he's happy where he is so am undecided on this one.
I know that most people say that bigger is better but i personally don't agree with that.
I wouldn't consider a non barred cage myself because i think its good for the hamster to be able to smell their surroundings, interact with their humans and have the option to walk out of a big front door by themselves. I also think that it would be too drastic a change for a hamster who is used to a barred cage.
Of course, this is only my opinion.
I know of someone who adjusted the front door of a pawhut to a door that slides up and down to remove it allowing the hamster to walk in and out. I think they also replaced the front panel with mesh to allow for interaction.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote