Thread: Hello Hammy
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2022, 01:43 AM  
Stanza
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Hello Hammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
Great to see photos of Hams! He's a lovely boy.

Is his playpen big enough for you to sit in? Most of our boys were wriggly at first and would jump out of my hands. I got them used to touch by letting them out on my lap and playing with them. They hop off but i tried to keep them on my lap a bit longer each time. I then picked them up and held them against me. Clive is the wriggliest one but even he enjoys a headstroke now. Just takes time and repetition.
Sadly it’s not big enough for me to sit in and your right, when I’ve organised an area that is secure for free roaming that I can sit in he does venture onto my legs and lap. If I did more of this perhaps I would perhaps reach a point where I could carry him in my hands. I really need to figure the free roaming out for him so he can do it more often.

I keep thinking of a cage upgrade too, he’s quite a big hamster for the cage he’s in. He’s never shown me any signs that he’s unhappy with the cage but he kinda looks big in it. My OH thinks I’m being daft and that a cage move to something bigger that may not be barred (as he’s only ever had a barred cage) could upset him. Maybe I’m over thinking it as since we added the Sputnik and upper bridges for extra walk ways he’s completely embraced these. I would say he uses everything in his cage at some point during the evening so that’s a good sign I guess.
Stanza is offline   Reply With Quote