Thread: Meet Cupcake
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2022, 09:12 PM  
ilguy
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Meet Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
I've thought about what you said about Cupcake always feeling ok on her own. I had a hamster like that. And foster Robo Finley is like that. They don't need physical contact with humans because they can get everything they want within their habitats.

The rest of the hamsters want me because they need me to get them out of their cages and into the free roaming area.

They want and need my partner to serve them up porridge.

I'm under no illusion that they'd want me for me. There's usually a motive behind them seeking human contact.

I think your Pearl was an exception, same as my Edwina. They actually sought out our company because they wanted to be with us, with or without treats or out of cage time.

I find that hamsters change as they age. They become more affectionate towards their human companions.

This is only an observation i made based on my experiences with our hamsters and other people's hamsters could behave completely differently.

I don't know why Cupcake used to interact but doesn't at the moment. All i'm pointing out is that she's acting like a typical and content hamster who is very happy with her lot.

Getting a second hamster is a good idea once Cupcake moves into a detolf. It really would be a shame to let the bin cage and niteangel wheel and your offer of great hamster care go to waste knowing fine that there are plenty of little hamsters out there waiting for their chance of a good life.
I think you're right about all of this ria, and as always thanks a ton for sharing your knowledge. What do you think about giving Cupcake the option to explore a little area on her own? I could easily make a ramp for her to get into a play area when she feels like it.

She is as definitely healthy and active as ever at night. I might take the opportunity to switch her castle hide for a different one once the Detolf is here, she's been flipping and banging it around a good deal.

Do they seek out time for petting? I remember you tame your hamsters without treats. Maybe I had the wrong idea about hamsters, but I was hoping to get some time with little Cupcake daily. Those few minutes each night were so precious.
ilguy is offline   Reply With Quote