Thread: Meet Cupcake
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2022, 12:17 PM  
ilguy
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Meet Cupcake

Time to give an overdue update on little Cupcake. She is alive and well, but has become something of a ghost hamster in regards to human interaction. I've only seen her above surface twice the past two weeks. Once for an early snack, the other she scurried away off the wheel, she must have thought I was already asleep.

I tried setting out a de-headed live mealworm by the entrance to her burrow, and still found it wriggling around. I also found a tin of dead (but not dried) mealworms, and she didn't take those either. Nor will a sunflower seed be accepted as a treat from me, they're always still sitting there where I set them. All attempts at interaction fail, and she will click at me to tell me to leave. No dice with the hamster taxi either.

But she is as active and lively as ever, its handy she loves the sandbath so much. I can hear her going nuts in it from my bedroom, plus the old wheel squeaking along. No problems with her appetite and she's still drinking just fine. She is still quite a queen, last night I heard something loud banging around her bin. In the morning I saw that she had flipped her house a good deal to make a tunnel underneath.

I do hope one day she might be open to interaction again, I guess that escape from under the bedroom door + changing the wheel really bothered her that much. I'm thinking of finally getting a wyze camera for some overnight footage, and getting that Detolf for her. I didn't want to rush a new space while she was peeved, but maybe extra room will do her some good! She sure sounds as adventurous as ever overnight.

I may also get a second hamster to utilize the old bin & unused wheel and toys. Cupcake's new digs will be in the quietest part of my place, and I'm going to add some extra toys & hides for a busier surface as well. If I can rig it safely, I might add a ramp to the Detolf and give Cupcake the option to explore a cordoned off area on her own terms if she wants. Maybe being in a neutral space she will be willing to interact again as well.
ilguy is offline   Reply With Quote