View Single Post
Old 08-17-2022, 01:07 AM  
cloudy
Whimzee dealer

Default Re: Introducing Orko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
It could be that your partner's presence confused him. Hamsters have such an acute sense of smell and hearing that he probably was aware that he wasn't the only one awake.
Orko may well have thought that your partner was out to eat him so stayed underground.

I often find that with Finley at night. He goes underground when i come into the room and will stay there until i'm gone. Happened last night when my partner couldn't sleep. Then my partner eventually dozed off in his chair, woke up, went into the lounge and there was Finley on his wheel washing.

I just remember you saying that you live in a studio flat. Yes, i think that Orko may have been displaying natural behaviours by peeking his nose out to check if the "predator" was still about.

It always amazes me how hamsters can sense and smell things even when they are in a burrow. Clive sleeps in a burrow and his top door opens and closes very quietly. Today I put a small bowl with Ella's strawberry porridge at the far side of his cage for later but by the time i had closed the door he was out and eating it.
Thank you so much for explaining this to me. It makes sense now. I guess it was a different routine so Orko was confused. Interesting to see how Finlay displays similar behaviour.

I laughed at Clive eating the porridge before you had closed the door!
cloudy is offline   Reply With Quote