Thread: Rodney is sick.
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2022, 11:07 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Rodney is sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_78 View Post
In Germany and other continental European countries they seem to have a lot of issues with internal parasites in rodents for some reason. Testing stool for worms is actually one of the first things they do when a rodent is inexplicably ill because it's so common, and many breeders routinely deworm their rodents. Hay is a often suggested source? It's worth checking das-hamsterforum.de for information if you haven't already.

Hopefully the treatment will help and Rodney will feel better soon.
Yes, i'm a silent member on Das Hamsterforum. They routinely test rescue hamsters feaces for parasites before rehoming.
I think that it may be more common than people think over here as well but usually it goes unnoticed. Diarrhoea, gastric upsets etc automatically gets treated with antibiotics which may well have been the outcome for Rodney as well, had he not pooped when the vet examined his abdomen for abnormalities. I took some of his feaces but they were formed and dry. The combination of stress and manipulation of his abdomen at the vet's certainly helped the vet with her diagnosis.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote