View Single Post
Old 08-11-2022, 05:46 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Introducing Orko

Offering food with fingers or on the palm of the hand can be part of the taming process, especially with Robos.
Running away is part of it as well. Even fairly confident Robos who are used to humans and their hands like our Scottie, still instinctively run away and then come back.

I wouldn't worry about sending Orko into a panic because i don't think that you did. Not if you want to introduce him to humans. That takes a lot of patience and time. It took my first Robo three months to take seeds from my hand and that was as far as we got. I put my hand flat in his tank a few times per week but didn't move my hand at first. He used to hide behind his wheel but eventually became brave enough to have a quick sniff before running off again. It very very slowly progressed from there.

I found that it was easier with Monty and Scottie because of their barred cages with front access. They were able to smell me when i sat near their cage talking to them and my hand reached in from the front and not from above.

I haven't spent much time trying to introduce foster Robo Finley to human hands but do put my hand in from time to time while talking to him. He got as far as a quick sniff which is progress.

If you feel that you'd prefer to have a Robo to watch only, that's fine but if you would like to give socializing a go, then you'd need to make a conscious effort to do so.

Well, that's my take on Robob "taming" and that's really all it is.

Very nice video of a busy Orko. I understand that you may feel that you could knock Orko's confidence by introducing your hand but if done in a non threating way it should be ok.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote