View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 11:36 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: What kind of hamster will be content in 1000 sq. inch cage?

Good point Ria. And as you have sadly found, dwarf hamsters lifespans can be limited by health issues and they are prone to diabetes. Because most dwarf hamsters are hybrids of two species of Russian dwarf. They still make lovely pets, diet can help avoid diabetes and it’s pot luck- they can live to 2 years - some it’s only a year or 18 months. Even with Syrians it’s pot luck but all our male Syrians have been healthy and lived to about 2.5 years or a bit longer. Although it’s not easy when they get old age diseases either. And any hamster could be born with a heart defect. Female Syrians can get pyometra - which is often not survivable. I don’t think it’s that common but something to be aware of and needs immediate vet treatment.

Everything I’ve read has said robos can be longest lived - yet our first Robo had tumours at 18 months. I think breeding can be a factor in health issues with them.

Anyway things to look for are a general look of healthiness and activity, good fur condition and bright eyes.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote