View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 02:57 PM  
otto
Newborn Pup

Default Re: What kind of hamster will be content in 1000 sq. inch cage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xosunflowerox View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but glad to hear it's going better! So they key is to have the cage a bit cluttered with little open space? I really want to Syrian, but I think I would be fine with a dwarf. I have an appointment with a breeder tonight where I'll look at both types of hamsters.

The bin I had my last hamster is in exclusive to the US, I think. It's the same as the IRIS Christmas tree bin, also in the US only, I think. It was around 800 square inches. It's the biggest bin available in the US.
Iris 44 gal. Storage Tote with Wheels | The Container Store

Hehe, thank you! I honestly think I should’ve put him in a smaller cage and then upgraded him into his main cage at a few months old so he’d be more pleased with it... maybe that’s something you could try? Has anyone else had good experiences with starting them off in a smaller cage to help initiate taming?

And yes, correct. Clutter is so important, and I’d even say at times more important than cage size... Cork logs, grapevine wood, wooden dividers to add height and levels to climb + separate textures such as beech + cork chips, moss etc. All ideas!

If you’re going to a breeder, you have the ability to try and select a Syrian from two parents that are calmer... or at least the breeder could direct you to a baby that seems to be a bit less hyper?

Sorry! I did a quick google and it said 490sq inches, I apologise! Yeah... then that proves it’s female hammys for you lol

I’d get a Syrian if I were you. You’re able to provide good space, good enrichment and you’ll probably like the little fella more if you’re bias towards Syrians. Go for it! I would do ANYTHING to get my hands on a Vista or Bigger World, & i’m sure your future hammy would too. Have fun decorating it!

Last edited by otto; 08-05-2022 at 03:16 PM.
otto is offline   Reply With Quote