View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 03:03 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: What kind of hamster will be content in 1000 sq. inch cage?

I agree with Ria - I have had a few Syrians and none of them have been in a cage as big as yours. They have been in 100 x 50 cm cages and most of them (all males) have found the space a bit scary unless there was plenty of overhead cover. In fact one Syrian I downgraded again to his original 80 x 50 cage and he was much happier in that and much more interactive. Style can make a difference with a shy hamster. Our shy hamster was nervous about top access and jumpy about bar clanging but more confident and out and about more in his 80 x 50 cage (which is about 620 square inches)..

Our current Syrian is a very active male. He is in 100 x 50 cafe with a shelf a labyrinth house a large wheel tunnels and good depth of substrate. He loves it and did as soon as he went in there. But being highly active he wants to come out every night and has playpen time.

He is the only male I’ve had who I thought might benefit from an even bigger cage but actually then he might not get as much out of cage time and interaction so it’s a balance. He just needs a good spurt of exercise and energy in the evening:

Most of our male Syrians have been, frankly, lazy or laid back. The two most active ones were both cream .

I am sorry you had a bad experience and some female hamsters can be very maverick and hyper. But I also agree with Ria that sometimes it is not just the size of the cage.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote