View Single Post
Old 08-01-2022, 11:15 AM  
ShadowNinjaHamster

Default Re: Do dwarfs actually get lonely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHamster1 View Post
Yes it is absolutely fine that they live alone, there is research out there that suggests that once the hamsters reach maturity it can cause them stress if they do not live alone. I think this is mainly because we can not replicate how they live in the wild. In the wild if they fall out, one hamster can just go off and remove itself from the situation, they cannot do that living in a cage, which results in injuries and sometimes death. Syrian and Chinese hamsters are 100% solitary animals. Dwarf hamsters can live together in certain circumstances but it is not something I advocate or recommend and it is more tricky than people realise.

I did a whole video about it if you want to know more:

Are Hamsters Solitary Animals? - YouTube

and the link to the research is including in the description below the video.
Thank you for mentioning the dwarfs in the video. A lot of people leave them out from everywhere and it was really confusing for me to see that so many dwarfs are in the same cage, which is WAY SMALLER than mine and they barely had any bedding and NO WHEEL. Just one drinking bottle and the Syrian was completely alone and he had a toilet paper roll and hay and rocks as a bedding. I do not believe that they change the hay or all of the bedding when they get a new hamster. If I'll ever get a hamster again I guess the first trip would be to the vet, because my current hamster had bugs when I got him. I didn't even notice it immediately and he wasnt tamed yet when he got bugs. One night I just woke up, because he was absolutely screaming and hissing and I went to check what's up and saw bugs everywhere.
I then cleaned the cage and the bugs kept coming back. It didn't stop till I took my hamster to the vet.
ShadowNinjaHamster is offline   Reply With Quote