View Single Post
Old 07-27-2022, 03:21 AM  
cloudy
Whimzee dealer

Default Re: Spot cleaning advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
I'm embarrassed to say this but I went almost 8 months before spot cleaning Pip (Robo's) cage. Only then did I start to get an aroma. He does have 10" of bedding though. I was a bit concerned I may find something mouldy or have left it too long. But actually it was all very neat and clean! The entire cage was clean and dry with just one wet area underneath his house, further down. He had clearly toiletted in the same place, under his house. So after checking throughout the entire cage, causing upheaval, in the end there was just the one small area to spot clean. The very deep bedding had helped with that or I wouldn't have left it so long.

I agree, if it doesn't smell, don't worry about it. the only time something might go a bit mouldy is if they pee on food. I've found robos don't tend to do that. They might have a number of hoards (often right down at the bottom of the cage).

Robos are known for peeing anywhere and everywhere (and yes it's a tiny amount and evaporates) but I found with our first one, once he had a labyrinth house, he had very good toiletting habits. He actually used the toilet tray!

Pip did as well at first but then decided to toilet underneath it further down (bigger toilet area!).

So I would also leave it a bit longer. How long have you had him now?

I wasn't sure what to do with Pip either so I started the spot cleaning when he was in the cage. At first he hid, but then when I started to remove his house (which is on legs) he emerged to see what was going on - and keep an eye on things. Don't worry about scaring him - it;s something he will get used to over time.

So Pip emerged through the house door after I'd taken the roof off and carefully felt down a bit under it from the front. I'd removed a lot of substrate from just in front of the house to be able to do this. So when he emerged, he found a big crater in front of his house. He looked a bit suprised then walked down into it to inspect it then went over to the far side of the cage under the shelf because of the upheaval. Where he sat and watched carefully what was going on. I had the playpen set up in case I got him out but would rather leave him in the cage than stress him trying to catch him - so I had either option just in case.

By that time I had created a crator in front of his wheel he ventured out to walk down into that and explore it, which worked very well. I put a mug on it's side in the crater and he walked into it so I popped my hand over the end and carried him to the playpen.

Then stayed there with him for a while. In hindsight a box set up would be better as I think the space in the playpen scared him and he squeaked for a bit but soon stopped once I talked to him. And he did end up exploring the playpen for a bit. Once he seemed happy in there and had places to dive into, I went back to sorting out the cage.

If anything he seemed more interested in wanting to come out again afterwards. Working on that!

With our previous robo, he was in a smaller 80 x 50 cage without such deep bedding and what worked with him was doing half the cage at a time (eg left half or right half). He adapted to this by having two nests - one in his house and one under a cork step in front of the wheel. So if I went to spot clean one side, he would move to his other nest. This worked well because half of his cage was always undisturbed and familiar. After a week or two he'd move back to his original nest and then I'd do the other half of the cage. I'd maybe leave 3 weeks between doing each half.

Don't worry about him too much - they do gain in confidence the more they get used to things and the more they get used to you.

He will be fine in daylight - Robos often come out during the day. He's probably just being shy coming out only at night.

So I'd do it at a time when you're awake and can see well! Maybe mid or late afternoon.

They soon settle again afterwards. Pip had a good check out in his cage afterwards - one thing I had put back not exactly where it was before - slightly off to one side - and he inspected that quite carefully - which showed me I had left a hole in a roof platform partly more blocked then before, so shifted the rock thing on top so he could get down the hole. Then all was fine.
Thank you for replying and sharing this. Orko has been with me for 6 weeks now. He also has 10 inches of bedding so it is good to hear Pip's did not need cleaning at this stage. He has a labyrinth house and he must use it as he enters and exits via the hole.

Doing half the cage at a time sounds like a good idea. I guess it is less scent removal for them.

Is it really okay to clean in the day? The earliest he ever gets up is 10.30 PM so he will be very upset if I wake up earlier. I am glad Pip was okay after the cleaning. I worry Orko will be very stressed. He is so shy. I was talking to him last night at 11.45 PM. As I had a dim lamp on he stayed in his wheel were he usually jumps in and out when he is in darkness.
cloudy is offline   Reply With Quote