View Single Post
Old 07-21-2022, 10:22 AM  
Broskistew
Newborn Pup

Default Hamster won't stop chewing cage bars

Hi,

My Syrian hamster (Flump) constantly chews on her cage bars to the point where the fur is coming off her cheeks and above her nose I took her to the vets and they said it's given her eczema and she's been given antibiotics but it's not going to get any better unless I can stop the cage chewing.

She has a large cage (100 x 53 cm) and wheel (12 inches) which she barely uses - I've checked and she's definitely able to move it okay. She has toys and chew things and I let her out frequently but she doesn't seem interested in anything other than chewing the cage bars. I even got her a playpen to roam around in with toys but she just tries to chew through that too. I've tried using bitter apple spray on the cage but it hasn't worked.

I don't think she could be stressed as I live in a quiet household and she seems happy, I think it's just become a bit of an obsession. It's always the same corner that she chews - I've included a picture of the cage set-up (circled is where she chews).

I can't think what else to do other than buy a new glass cage but it would be a shame as she likes to climb on the bars.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, or glass cage recommendations please?

Thank you for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 294184390_1104416457094448_244783036353825011_n.jpg (497.4 KB, 21 views)
Broskistew is offline   Reply With Quote