Thread: Meet Ares
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2022, 11:13 AM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: Meet Ares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
That looks ever so natural! Love it. Is that the dried grass you're using on top of the substrate? Looks too fine to be hay.
I got inspiration from the Steppes in Asia which is where robos are found. It is actually meadow hay and the finest I've found. Having the pigs means I have sampled many types and brands. I've found nicer hay in bigger bales. The small bags you can get have stalker hay normally. This is 'vale bale' which is marketed for horses and comes in 12kg bales. Hay box do a 2.5kg box of hay and both their meadow and soft Timothy are suitable for hamsters in my opinion. No sharp pointy bits. I used the soft Timothy when Cyril (pig) was recovering from surgery as he can't have meadow hay as it irritates him but the normal Timothy blend was too stalky, but that was before I found vale and he seems ok on small amounts mixed in with his Timothy. Oxbows orchard hay is quite soft too and they do that in small bags too albeit expensive. P@h have a meadow hay which is soft and could be used. I think it was the 1kg bag that's £5 or something like that. Honestly if anyone wants a list of soft hay and where to get it from I can happily make one.